Borg Warner T10 in a 69? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 01, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I want to put a T10 in my 69. Is there an easy way to do this? So far, What I'm told is that since they were never put in 69's, they don't make a shifter installation kit for it. I have a console and want to keep it. It was converted to be a "4-speed" with a saginaw. At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to do some fabrication.Sure would be nice to drive it! Still have lots to do.

Thanks, Matt

69 x-44 400sb 12bolt posi 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech

What year is the T-10? The reason I ask is the sfifter mounts changed some. If you have a T-10 (or Super T-10) from say, a 74 model, it should bolt right up like it was made for your rig. The input splines would be 26, not 10, so buy your clutch disk accordingly. The output shaft would be the same (I say that with 99% assurity), and the basic deminsions whould match your Sag-n-drag. Shifter? Tell your pro shop you need (in this example) a Hurst Competition Plus shifter for 74 Z-28 (which would have had the T-10..actually a Super T-10) and you should get a great, easy to adjust shifter, that should work within the confines of your console. You may have to do some minor cutting on your tunnel, but it sounds like you've been there before.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I was told the T10 is out of a 78 corvette. It has a 26 sline input shaft, 400 turbo-size output shaft. It has only 3 bolt holes to mount the shifter. I could get ahold of a 5 bolt tailshaft housing if I needed to. The muncie linkage kit fits close, except the reverse linkage and shifter mounting plate. To get the shifter to line up in the hole I will have to move the shifter forward about 1 1/2 inch (still playing with it, Have to cut out my hole in the tunnel). I have a shifter from a 2nd gen camaro, at least that's what I was told. It has an extension on it that moves the stick over to the right,with 2 threaded holes for the stick. The "arms"(bolt onto the shift-shafts)for the trans are shorter for the muncie linkage. Would it shorten the throw of the stick if I used those arms? The T-10 linkage sets have longer arms.

Thanks, Matt

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech

Put a T-10 into my 68, same console as the 69
any ways I had this Hurst shifter, for the tranni and it would not bolt up to the trans, I order a Hurst mounting plate for the 68 Camaro, Saginaw trans, the bracket mounts under the transmission mount, and use a muffler clmap u-bolt around the tail stock, mounted the shifter to this bracket, I had to fabricate a new shift rod for 3 & 4 . the 3-4 shift rod (muncie) I used for 1-2,The reverse rod was just long enough.
Anyways the thing shifted fine on the bench and I installed the unit into the car. After many days of friggin with the clutch ( search my post in Engine & driveline for that story)
I cut the hole in the floor, got the measurements from another 4 - speed car.
Again the shifter worked fine, reinstalled the console, The hole and shifter were in the right places, O'kay now to install the top plates of the console, every thing is working fine until now, the throw of the shifter is way too long, the shifter hits the front and back of the console, Back to the wrecking yards and look for shorter shift arms, The shift arms that I had were 1 1/2 inches from center hole to center hole, Found a pair of arms that were 1 1/4 inch, installed those better but not right, couldn't find any thing shorter, tried drilling new holes, the darn things are harden steel,
Spent $20.00 on a Carbide tipped 3/8 drill and using a drill press I drilled two new holes into the shift arms at 3/4" inch center to center, the shifter works good now.
hope this helps, Just notice that when I park the car there is a small drop of gear oil on the floor, looks like I will be yanking the thing out again some time soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode