fuel puddling - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Could you please explain to me why fuel would puddle in the intake? By the way this is a 78 malibu with a carbureted 305, dual plane intake. This is my second car, second engine, different intakes, yet fuel always puddles in the lower plenum of my intakes. The only thing in common with all these engines have been my underdrive pullies, and roller rocker arms. What gives????? p.s the car seems to run fine otherwise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech

how do you know that fuel is puddling in the intake? And secondly, if the car is running fine, what would cause you to think that this is a problem? Some causes of physical puddling may be a stuck needle and seat assembly or sticking floats. I am still very interested to know why you believe that fuel is puddling in the intake. If you can answer the first two questions, I am certain that someone on this site can help you with your problem..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Well you forced me to explain. I actually posted this about two months ago, and with the responses I got, only reinforced my feeling that I'm the only one with this problem in the world. Here goes: I had a 78 malibu with a stock remanufactured 350, edelbrock performer rpm intake, carter 600 cfm carb, mallory comp 9000 distributor, crane full roller rockers ( 1.5 ratio), 1 5/8 headers, stock mechanical fuel pump. I noticed a smell of fuel ( now this could of been attributed to the fact that my exhaust pipes exit at the doors), but that's another story. Anyhow I pulled the carb to check it out and seen some fuel just sitting there in the lower plenum. Well of course I assumed that something was in the needle and seat so I replaced them, set the floats, bought a fuel pressure gauge, and verified that I wasn't running excessive fuel pressure ( 5.5 lbs.) Same problem. Somebody thought maybe it was my valves, so I readjusted them everyway I could think of. Same problem. So I figured maybe just a junk carb, so I've bought a total of 4 new carbs, a new edelbrock, a new carter, a new holley. Same problem. Now I'm just like screw it so I bought a new car. I liked the body style so I bought a different 78 malibu, with a little 305. It came stock except it had a 600 edelbrock on a weind stealth intake. The first thing I did was pull the carb so I could compare. There was no raw fuel in there, but it was pritty fuel stained. So know I'm like great, and I start transferring some of my goodies from the other malibu over. The only thing Iv'e changed have been the rocker arms, underdrive pullies, and my 10 inch air cleaner. Well guess what a week later I was curious so I pulled the carb and guess what, raw fuel just sitting there. Out of the probably fifty times that I have pulled the carbs only a couple times has it been bone dry, and I can't find any reason as to why it's dry one minute and wet the next. I tried putting the stock rockers back on. Same problem. changed to a bigger air cleaner. Same problem. I put on a pnebolic plastic spacer under the carb to prevent fuel boiling. Same problem. What really drives me crazy is 20 people will tell me it's a problem, and 20 will tell me it's not, yet nobody knows how to fix it, and they all have different opinions. What some pepole think, others say can't possibly be causing it. I don't even have any buddies with carbureted cars to compare. If anybody is getting ready to swap a carb or works with carbs, please look and see if you can see any wet fuel in the intake. Like I said it's almost always exclusive to the lower plenum toward the rear. I've checked for vacuum leaks, and have changed just about everything ten times. Can somebody please, please help. I just need peace of mind.

Ronnie Williams
2372 Ridgecrest, Arnold MO, 63010
(636) 282-1584
[email protected]
[email protected]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 08:38 PM
David Pozzi

Call Braswell Carburetors. 520 579-9179 or E-Mail them at [email protected]

They custom build holley type carbs and can answer your questions. We've given our opinions to you here, and it's understandable you don't know who of us to believe. Get the best advice you can from the most credible source you can or you'll go nuts! Good luck, David
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 02:23 AM
Tech Team

i had a holley 750 that always leaked, and if it got to 10 degrees the whole carb would flood. And i do mean bad it would fill the whole carb up till it would rull out air cleaner. So i had it rebuilt still slow leaked, still hyper-flooded when real cold. So i thew that piece of junk holley away and bought a performer, they have no gaskets below the fuel float area, and it dosent leak.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

No. I wasn't saying that you guys we're giving me wrong info. It's the people around where I live. You guys have been very helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode