ID for my 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Question

I need some help finding out if my car is a Z28 or not. It has drums all around and the speedo cable is on the left hand side of the steering colum. If anyone needs more info let me know. I dont have a computer so I have to use everone elses so I might not be able to respond to quick. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech

Disc brakes were a manditory option with the Z28. Unless they have been changed to drums, it's not a Z. By left side, I assume you mean the cable comes into the car between the column and the fuse box?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 00, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

wow thats not cool. Is there any other ways I can find out what it is? mabey an idea of where the build sheet is. or can I still obtain a protecto plate for my car?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 12:43 AM

Jacob:

Post the trim tag, is the car built in Norwood or Van Nuys?, late Norwood cars have "X codes" which help determine if it was a Z. If your car was built in LA maybe you can find the "built sheet" over the fuel tank, but you have to be careful when you try to take it out.

Mauricio
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 02:35 AM

I would guess not. Like Dave said, disk brakes were mandatory on the Z. The majority of people wouldn't change from disk to drum. All 67-9 Z's had Muncie 4speeds. If the cable is coming out of the left side of the column (sitting in the car) then it wasn't a Muncie car. Can't think of any reason someone would change cable locations. Was the car originally a 4speed anyway? It might be something else. Post some numbers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

He already posted his #'s. See https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum6/HTML/000262.html
Early 69 Norwood car (2 tone too!).

Jacob,
I'm confused. On the other post you said it had disc brakes.
How many fuel lines does it have?
10 or 12 bolt?
Original engine?

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

[This message has been edited by Kurt S (edited 02-01-2000).]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 09:31 AM

Kurt, thank you, your right. I like the weird color combos. I wish I was old enough to see these on the showroom floor when they were new. Do you have any strange color combos in the CRG database of a Z or RS/SS or anything? Seems most of the stranger color combos are on the lesser performance oriented cars. There is a junkyard about 30 minutes away from me that has over 300 Chevelles and a handful or more of Camaros. Some of them had weird combinations. When the weather gets warmer I am going back for some numbers. Took them once but lost them. Now back to the original issue. Jacob, when you get a chance let us help. How many fuel lines, diameter? Originally a auto or std? Disk brakes? Bracket on the frame visible behind the drivers rear tire while standing at the tire? (for dual exhaust) 10 bolt or 12 bolt rear? Heater core outlets on firewall-next to box on firewall or out of the middle? Numbers off pad on engine underneath the alternator?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 06:14 PM

I found 2 69 z/28's that had z/28 on the trim tag, but they had drum brakes, whether or not they were changed over I dont know, but it was just an observation i thought i'd add in
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Question

well Kurt sorry to get you confused but I just assumed the car had discs because my uncle told me it was a Z28. But no it has drums,I might have to double check the speedo cable,the car is auto 3 speed on the floor.
The real big problem is I dont have an engine or trani and the diferential is not origanal.
here are the trim code and vin

ST-69-12437-NOR-104988-BDY
TR-72365 50 PNT
09A

124379N503521

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I'll make you a deal. You tell me how many fuel lines there are, and I'll tell you what the engine was. Hopefully they are the original lines.

Robby, Z28 on the tag?? That code doesn't appear on a 69 tag.

Got data on a 2 tone RS/SS396 and 2 SS350 cars. Yes, I'd be interested in those #'s in the junkyard. Thanks!

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Question

Ok kurt sorry its been so long I dont have my own computer. but about the fuel lines there is only one. what about if there were two fuel lines whats that mean? Just wondering thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 00, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Single fuel line on an early production car means a 327 car, 2 bbl.
2 fuel lines was for a Quadrajet 4bbl car.

Thanks!

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 00, 07:15 AM

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurt S:
I'll make you a deal. You tell me how many fuel lines there are, and I'll tell you what the engine was. Hopefully they are the original lines.

Robby, Z28 on the tag?? That code doesn't appear on a 69 tag.

Got data on a 2 tone RS/SS396 and 2 SS350 cars. Yes, I'd be interested in those #'s in the junkyard. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Heres what I can make of your tag. No, it is not a Z28. It is a basic v8 sport coupe. It was built in norwood and was originaly dover white with midnight green interior standard vinyl. I was not able to tell what engine combo you had. Please check your cowl tag again to make sure you didn't leave anything out. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode