original 6 cylinder still in car - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 68 RS camaro # matching car with the orig. 6 cylinder 250/155 hp and pg.This car runs like new and has power steering.I know alot of camaros were made with a 6,but many have been swapped out for a sb or bb engine.I have nothing against cars that can lay rubber and twist bodys,but i prefer original.Is there anybody else out there who is still enjoying their straight 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 04:55 PM

My car had a 6 in it, but it was hashed, so we put a 327 in it's place
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

ok, my story time
my great granpa was convinced by my dad and my uncle to get our 67 250, back when they first came out. we have keept it in the family to date, but one fall day a couple of years ago, my sister was coming home from school and the grandpa's old camaro was smoking. turned out the antifreeze got in the oil, the orrigona block, rebuilt a short 10,000 miles ago was cracked. so we were shoppin for an engine. we thought we had a 350 lined up, but that one fell through. while we were regrouping, we realized that we would have to upgrade numerous things, and worse mileage. we decided the 6 cyl made a good driver, was fun and is an excellent conversation piece, being 95% orrigonal, and having a 6 cyl. also we have our 89 firebird formula and (dont boo me, we're muscle car enthusiasts.) our 69 shelby, which hopefully we'll get done someday. and my uncle has a 69 z and a 69 t/a, so we werent hurting for anothr v8, we wanted something unique, even though the #'s dont match on it, it's still fun to drive around town.

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 69 convertible I purchased last month that has a 6 cyl. in it.I am like you
in that perspective. I also like original. Many people modify there vehicle's and try to clone them to something they will never be.And some will even go as far as telling fib's to there friend's and family that they have a rare car and don't.Some fib so much that,I think that they belive they have a rare car.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech

I have two 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual trans cars in my collection, and I really enjoy driving them. If you like yours, then go out and have fun with it.

Most people have lost the thought that the 6 cylinder is a very large part of the Camaro history, think about having an RS car with a different than the run of the mill engine, I think its neat. I'd call it both great and historically unique.

Anybody can dump a crate engine in a Chevrolet vehicle, nothing unique with that, everybody's got one. I'd keep that 6.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 01:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I would leave it a 6. I think they're cool. And like you said, there's not many around anymore. I've had my eye on a 68 with a 6, but owners aren't willing to part with it yet. It's all original down to the hubcaps and faded blue paint. Anymore it's "dare to be different, leave the 6."

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 04:39 PM
Tech Team

Ok, I'll go against the grain. I bought my '67 with a non-original 6 cylinder. I bought it because it was cheaper than any of the other cars in my area at the time and the body was in good shape. I have owned more than a few chevys in my time (still do); some with V-8, some with L-6 and even V-6. I enjoy all types but I never owned my dream car, the Camaro, until a few years ago. The Camaro to me meant power, great styling and not as expensive as a 'vette. Somehow restoring a L-6 Camaro didn't get my juices flowing. Dropping a V-8 in one that hadn't been torn to bits by countless high school kids seemed to be a decent idea (at the time anyways). Someday if I have a garage full of first gens, I might put the car back into it's 6 cylinder form and let my kids drive it around.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech

I too look at 6 cylinder cars a prime engine swap platforms. I would not want a 6 cylinder car. As for adding emblems, I am not into that either. When I bought my 68 it came with Z28 emblems, still packaged, I promtly traded them to a friend with a real Z. I just bought a 67 Chevelle, original 6 cylinder, that someone cloned into an SS. They used all the right parts, 396, hood, 12 bolt, Th400, buckets, console, etc. I wish they would have left the emblems off, I don't want people looking at the car as if it were real, since I want it to be out front in the morning. If people ask I tell them it is an original 6 cyl, and than them for their inquiry. As for the people who try and pass off a clone as the real thing, they are putzes.

Steve R.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 02:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I have a 68 RS conv. 6 with (originally) 3 speed in the floor. It's now a Muncie. I love it. What's more my daughter drives it to HS everyday and it keeps her out of jail (so far).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech

A 4 speed was available with some 6s, and even the give-away Saginaw transmissions will handle the torque and power from a mild hopped-up six.

V8 bellhousings and clutches, linkages fit. Don't know about flywheels, but there is probably a V8 neutral balance one that might fit, probably easy to get stockers, though.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech

My 68 convertible is an orig. strt. 6cyl too! however its in the garage now getting totally gone thru...i picked up a zz4 crate new for 2500, its gettin power rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel discs from aerospace componets! i love orig. camaros too but i also have a 67 327 car that all orig. down to the paint so the conv. is a fun cruiser/hot rod....not gunna cut it up or rig anything i jus dont want it all factory!!!

P.s> i have the 6 cyl and glide for sale in the s.f. bay area if anyone is interested! it ran great and doesnt smoke at all!!!

------------------
68 convertible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode