Need help ASAP...Body Mounts???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Ok Decided to take some advise...I loosened( they were loose to begin with) All 4 body mount bushing(Not the radiator support)..But both sides at the same time.."I know,I know" I just read the post about one side at a time..I did not remove them but did loosen and moved the suspension up and down..Do you guys think I might have messed something up..Mis aligned or Bind anything..(all this was done with the car on the ground)...I then torqued them to 80ft lbs...But here is the other problem..Some of the large washers(the washer that go between the bolt head and the first bushing)..on the bushing collapsed actualy causing the rubber bushing to compress outward so that the bolt/washer looks like it is touching the sub frame rail and the rubber bushing is balloned around it....Did I do something wrong?? Did I OVER TORQUE them?? shouldn't the washers be strong enough to distribute the torque evenly over the rubber bushing instead of balloning out around the bolt/Washer???

The bushings are less than a yr old..If I did mess things up and need to replce the first bushing can I just replace the damaged bushings and washers..Since the ones in between the sub frame and body look fine and are in good shape..Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where is everyone
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Measure diagonally between a hole near the front fo the subframe on one sice to a point on the rear of the opposite side (like a spring mount bolt. Then do the some for the other side. They should be the same, within a quarter inch or so. if they are off, loosen the 4 bolts, and re-position the subframe. Re-tighten, adn re-measure until they are the same. Seems like the 80 foot pounds is right, but I don't have my assembly manual with me. I know it spells it out.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 06:13 PM

Sounds like the bushings were not aligned correctly when you torqued them down. The bushings interlock so that its like one solid piece when together. If they are not lined up so they interlock the top piece does not go into the lower bushing and the lower bushing is basically hollow. When you torque it down the bushing collapses. It is important that the bushings interlock so they can be tightened up and so that they seat correctly in the subframe. I would take one of the rear bolts completely out with the car on the ground. The rear of the subframe should drop down a little. Pull it down, with a pry bar if necessary, to remove the top half of the bushing. Take a look at how the bushings go together and make sure your can straighten out the damaged lower bushing. Fit them together and you will see how they sandwich the subframe. Make sure they fit that way when you put them back in. As for aligning the subframe, there are alignment holes in the front mounting pads. I'm sure there is a lot of info on the subject if you do a search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode