High Temp. Silicone - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Angry

i just took my cat off my 87 because it was rusted through and put a piece of pipe in its place and one end has an adapter on it. everything fits perfect and everything is clamped together. i know it should be welded, but i know muffler shops clamp systems together all the time. well my problem is that some exhaust is leaking out were the clamps are and i can't figure out a way to stop this(clamps are as tight as i can get it). i was thinking of putting high temp. silicone on the inside of the pipes and around the seems and put it back together. will this stop the leak until summer when i put a true dual system on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

No, the exhaust is hot enough to burn the silicone away.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

is there anything that i can do to stop this leak? i really don't want to spend the money to get it welded because i am saving for a new engine and exhaust
help!!!!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 00, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I think NAPA used to sell a type of muffler cement for patching holes in mufflers.Maybe this would work.I've never used it,or anything like it.If not at least the guys there can steer you in the right direction.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

67 Drake is correct. The product is called a muffler bandage. Basically it is like a white duct tape that you wet then wrap around the leaky area. Then you start and drive the car. The heat from the exhaust cures it to a rock hard finish. So hard that you will have to cut it off to remove it later. You better do something to fix that leak now. Breathing exhaust fumes is very, very unsafe! It should not cost very much to have the pipe welded at both ends.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech

Forget the cheap fix - exhaust leaks, particularly in the area yours is, are nothing to mess with. Go get it welded at a muffler shop - it can't cost enough to justify getting asphyxiated.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
'99 HD Road King Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Sorry to say this, but by clamping down the clamps as tight as you could get them started your problems. You have crimped the pipes, now you have leaks, when tightening muffler clamps bring them just tight enough to keep from vibrating loose, Heat water and rust will take care of the final sealing after just a few days, In your case try pulling the pipes apart and use an expander to round out the pipes and try again, Not too tight but just right!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 07:55 AM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

Permatex also makes a exhaust joint sealer part #mtk1 may be just the ticket.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys for all your help. i bought that tape and put it on and it works fine. it only has to last me about 1-2 months. btw i didn't clamp down on the pipes that hard that's why i didn't understand why it was leaking, but thanks for all you rhelp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode