Grinding my gears - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 01, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I new to manual trannys as far as being able to tell whats wrong with them.I have a 4speed and When Im just doing regular crusing and I go to shift into 2nd sometimes it grinds. I am leaving the cluth all the way down when i shift. It also does it when I go into 4th. And I can not downshift into second. The gear box has new oil in it. And it still does it. Any help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 01, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
How much free play is there in your pedal ? In other words, how far do you step down on the pedal before it feels like it is doing anything. You want about 1" of travel. If you have alot more than that you might not be releasing the clutch enough. If you have less than that you may end with Premature clutch wear or the throwout bearing wearing out because it never releases and is constantly spinning. If the clutch is adjusted correctly and it still grinds you might need new synchro rings in the tranny. The rings are cheap but the labor to do it will cost you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode