vacuum advance - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody run they're stock GM HEI without the advance hooked up? Can you just set your mechanical and leave it at that? Do you have to use the advance? Right now I'm running without it, and it doesn't seem any different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

joker my vacun advance went out & my 327 was hard on gas & had stumble & no power.

------------------
johnny
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Your distributor will need to be recurved if you don't use the vacuum advance. I think you want your mechanical advance to come in much faster when you don't have vacuum advance. You won't get the best performance by simply disconnecting the vacuum advance.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....Ronnie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 08:57 AM
David Pozzi

You need a vaccum advance for street use. For full throttle applications you don't need the vaccum advance. The vaccum advance operates under higher vaccum conditions like part throttle crusing conditions. Less during 3/4 throttle, and not at all under full throttle. If you disconnect the vaccum advance on a stock distributor, your engine will be running retarded during part throttle conditions. This will cause the plugs to run cooler which will cause buildup of carbon deposits. Also your mileage will suffer and the engine could load up so much on a long trip it could stall. I had this happen to me! Full throttle performance will not change except where the carboned up plugs will misfire if too dirty.

If you recurve the mechanical advance correctly, you may be able to get by without the vaccum advance and only loose a little mileage. The usual problem is when the mechanical advance is modified to get better full throttle performance, the stock vaccum advance has too much advance and at too low a vaccum. The vaccum can needs to be changed to one with less total advance, or limited with a stop, and have a stiffer spring inside to come on only at higher vaccum. The typical symptom of an over active stock vaccum advance is a brief ping when accelerating from a stop. The vaccum advance opens all the way when you first open the throtle, then takes a little time to close as you get into the throttle and the vaccum drops. While the vaccum advance is closing the mechanical advance is opening (on a recurved distributor) and you get too much advance briefly, causing a ping. Regards, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode