subframe connectors - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 68 convertable that I put a big block in, and have been told a few times that I had better put in subframe connectors, or after a while I wont beable to open or close my doors. My question is, how do these bolt or weld up? I have seen some of these in Summit for close to $100 but I have heard that I can do the same thing for $5 worth of metal. Also, how would this effect the cornering of my car? Thanks to anyone that may beable to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 00, 06:07 PM

You can get subframe connectors in either bolt on or weld on. Many people buy the bolt on units and after installation weld them in. One of the good things about the bolt on type is they require less floor mods (usually just a few small dents with a hammer) where as the weld on one usually require a strip of the floor pan to be cut out. As far as handeling it will give you only positive changes (a stiffer chasis improves handeling) Hope this helps!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

trust me and get them(frame connectors). i had a 68 with a 302/ 4-speed, 12 bolt with 4.10 gears and ladderbars. you wouldn't think a little engine like that would twist up your car, but guess what, it does....i just got done painting the car and was running it one day and noticed the the quarter panel had a nice buckle in it, right by the door. called summit or jegs an ordered competition engineering's bolt on frame connectors. had no problems after that. easy bolt on assurance. like austin said, weld on connectors need some floor modification that most of the time require cutting up the floor panels. you can always buy bolt ons and weld them, just like he said. if that little 302 twisted my car, just think what a big block will door to your car being a convertable. i know what my 396 does....
later,
bruce69camaro

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 02:58 AM

Check with Art Rasmussen at www.hotroddingtoday.com and he will send you plans on how to install your subframe connectors and the reasons why. He builds subframes for a lot of Camaros and he really knows his stuff. I believe he said you can build them right for about $30 worth of materials and if you send him a stamped large envelope (9X12?), he will send you his plans for free. He highly recommends cutting the floor pan and welding in the subframe to do it right and to maintain your ground clearance.

------------------
Slik
'77 Camaro w/350
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 00, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech

Subframe connectors are the only way to go(except stock restorations). Does the term flexable flyer remind you of anything. Also recommend a 4 or 6 point roll cage and tie the cage to the roof of the car(just like the trans-am cars of the 60's) You will feel the difference BIG TIME.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Guys, I was told by the tech dept at Ricks Fist gen that the bolt in type will not work in a convertable without major floor pan reconstruction. If anyone knows of a set which will bolt into a convertable I'd like to know about It since I too would like to get a set and stiffen up my car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 00, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

I would talk to the manufacturers tech for help. They should have first hand knowledge of any potential problems you would encounter with a convertible. A reputable company should be straight forward with you.

Steve R.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 00, 07:54 AM

I don't know of anyone who makes bolt in connectors for the convertible because of the loss of ground clearance.
We will send you instructions for 'through the floor weld in' connecters. This is not a terribly difficult job and it will give you the most stiffness you can get without a roll cage.
All we need to send you these instructions is a self addressed stamped ($1.00 postage)letter size manila envelope.
Send it to:
Art Rasmussen
Art Rasmussen Design and Fabrication, Inc.
14241 Woodinville-Duvall Road PMB#163
Woodinville, WA 98072

Art www.HotRoddingToday.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode