Power steering in a Big Block - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

HELP, I have asked this question before but still havn't figured it out. I have a 68 convertable that I put a 396 BB in, the motor is a 69. The problem I am having is getting my power steering pully to line up with everything else. I got all my pullys from Classic Ind. as well as the bracket for the power steering. Everything else lines up fine i.e. alternator, water pump and bottom pully but the power steering is on a different angle and sticks out to far. Any help would be sooo appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

My P/S pump was a little misaligned, but was ok with the v-belt. Pully alignment was much more critical when I added the blower since the P/S pump is driven off the blower belt.

There are two relatively easy ways to make small changes to pulley alignment. The first way is to grind the holes on the brackets to change the location in which they are placed against the engine when the mounting bolts are tightened. Secondly, you should have some room to shim the bracket that attaches to the water pump with some washers. I had the opposite problem you have - my pump didn't stick out far enough. I added 3 washers (about 1/4 on an inch) between the bracket and the water pump mounting pad and that got me a lot closer to where I wanted to be. After all of this, I have a slight, but still visible misalignment.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech

Yep,

Gheatly nailed it as usual. I have approximately three washers between the back of the power steering bracket and the block. This pushes the power steering pump out more towards the front of the car. This makes it aligned properly with it's pulley (the one farthest away from the engine on the crank pulley).

You should be using a 3-belt crank pulley. It sounds to me like you are trying to use a two-belt crank pulley, no??? I say this because my power steering didn't stick out quite far enough just like in gheatly's situation.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-06-2000).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Guys thanks so much for the replys. I have a 3 belt crank but the closest the power steering comes to fitting is on the furthest forward pulley, would it be bad to have everything running off of one belt or would you recommend making the pump fit further in so it would be on the 2nd pulley?? Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I run a two belt crank and my power steering works fine with the crank and it even goes back on the neariest one to the engine. I have a 69 camaro with a 468. What we had to do is shave off part of the water pump where the power steering connects too. This does not effect water pump at all. Any shop can shave this for you. Then we it moved the power steering back quite a bit. The power steering box lines then bumped up against the engine so we had to get a shorter line, the line that loops arounnd from like a U type shape. So to finish we put a bolt that has two nuts on each side that bumbs up between the head and the valve cover. This stablizing the pump, and lets me adjust the pump. This sounds weird because it's a little difficuilt to explain, yet it looks great, cutomed, and works fine. I can now even play with washers to move up the belt if wanted. Yet, I have had no belt throwing so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode