BACKFIRING - COWL INDUCTION - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm new to this, so please don't laugh. Took my '69 Z11 out for a spin today and the car was backfiring (popping) at lower speeds 35-45 mph as I was cruising . Needless to say, I felt like an idiot. My first inclination was to replace all the plugs and set the timing (points disttributor). I pulled up and hood and checked the plug wires, etc... I did however notice that the valve cover to air cleaner hose was disconnected. Could this have been the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Reconnected the hose and it's still backfiring. Fouled plugs or timimg adjustment??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech

Question

Plugs, wires and distributor cap, that's where I'd start. If that doesn't help, I'd starting looking at the carb. Does it only do it at a certain RPM, or only when accelerating or decelerating? KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 08:23 PM

mine bogs real easy and backfires through carb when trying to accelerate too hard on a cold engine. is this timing (which I thought it was), or should I check my plugs and stuff?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech

for the both of you..timeing! and or rich...possably wetness inside the cap, this happen's on cold wet day's. i would also pull a plug and check it out to see if it is runing rich. it might be lean if you tuned the carb on summer gas...cause winter gas is formulated diferant..it is more volitiale and vaporizes better. and if you are runing too much vacume advance this happen's too..use the timed port off the carb..the one that has no vacum at idle but get's it as the motor rev's up. also try to let the old baby's warm up first...i have to on my 67 camaro and my 85 blazer....or they drive like s#%@t. that is because they have no air preheat. that help's alot in the winter..if you do not have a heated intake. or you have blocked the heat riser passage's off. ib the winter your carb might be too cold and this happen's too cause the fule is not atomizing corectly...hope this help's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The car recently came from California and was seldom driven. I put Super unleaded when I got it and drive it to get an oil change (about 5 miles) and it drove fine. This was about a week ago. It was nice yesterday and I drove it to "blow" it out and it started to backfire and low rpms. I did however wash and detail the engine compartment last week but was very careful to not get the distributor wet. The plugs however were left as is.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

Danny, pull a couple of the "easy" plugs and see what they look like. If they are fouled, you will know it. I'd throw another set in there anyway, just for maintenance purposes. What do the wires look like? You can't go wrong with a basic tune-up. If you would have driven it over to my house on Saturday, I would have fixed it up for you! Ben and I made alot of progress on the power steering conversion. I'm hoping to finish it off tonight, I needed a new pitman arm. Are we still on for the Superbowl? I think Ben said he would be able to make it......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

John - Sorry I couldn't make it Saturday. I was in the office crunching numbers for yearend. Yes! We are on for a Super Bowl party at my house - beer, burgers & dogs! I may decide on T-bones! I'm assumming that a "fouled" plug is dirty and black?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, dirty and black, and probably wet looking, smelling of gasoline. They should be a nice off-white color when everything in the combustion chamber is working normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode