68 SS/RS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Question

I have a 68 SS/RS it was said to be a BB car, but I have little knowledge of what to look for. The car is equipped with A/C, i know there is a difference. It has a 5000 redline tach which I beleive is SB. The gas tank was pulled and it isn't known whether the build sheet was there. And the frame mts are for a small block but the former owner was planning to use a SB. Any help would be appreciated

[This message has been edited by Brian VanSickle (edited 07-07-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech

A big block car would have the heater hoses coming out from the middle of the box on the firewall, this was for clearance purposes. Small block cars were alot closer to the exhaust manifolds. Another thing to look for would be the 4 core radiator, and also maybe the front coil spring tags, if they are still intact. I'm almost positive a big block car would also have front disk brakes. Of course, any of these things could have been changed, it's alot easier to prove it wasn't a big block than to prove it was one........Do a search on this site, this topic has been discussed numerous times! Also, post your trim tag in that section and maybe you can get more info! Good luck! KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Thanks I know what you saying about the blower box, but as i said the car has A/C. And it has all the options you mentioned, but the exaust is not there. And the springs have been replaced

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

Thats tough. I don't think the heater hose placement is valid here due to the fact the car has AC. However the AC case halves on the firewall are different from SB to BB. Unfortunately I can't tell you the difference, just that they are. No 68 Camaro besides the Z required disk brakes so unfortunately thats no help. Is the car originally a 4 speed? If so you can check the trans crossmember. The bolt hole opening for the trans mount is squarish with a corner chopped off for a BB 4 speed. Oval for non BB. Can be changed easily however.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct for '68, but I'm trying to help here. I know in '69 the AC line that comes out of the top of the box is different for SB and BB. The SB line curves toward the fender (to the outside). The BB curves toward the engine (to the inside). If someone has a '68 BB with air, they could check this, but I have two '68s and one '69 with SB and factory air, and they curve to the fender. The line I am talking about has the POA valve on it. Hope this helps. Please don't bash me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to help. Take care.

------------------
69 SSRS Frame-off Resto
81 Z-28 377ci Drag Car
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

69RSSS,

I believe you are correct. Click on my website below and note the routing of the evaporator exit and POA valve. There's no way to fit a BB with a SB evaporator and case unless you are adept with a sawzall.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 00, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Thanks Carl, my air box looks like yours. But I would like to see what BB set up looks like so I can be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode