12 bolt rear end - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Question

I got some #'s on the rear end I just bought. The thing is that I can't find the numbers in the 1967-81 book I got for camaros. The code on my book starts with ba, bb, for 68/69 camaros and with cg and other c's but no cx on there. Can you help? The code on the rear end reads as CXO516 B! I think it's a letter 0 or zero for the third letter/number. I just want to buy the right parts and know what kind of junk or good thing I bought! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

Is it a Camaro rear? The code shows a Chevelle,'65-69, 3.07 single trac. Have the spring perches been welded on ? Are they 2 bushings on top of the center chunk area, one on each side of the chunk? Iif so, someone cut the brackets off a Chevelle rear, and welded on Camaro perches.

------------------
Many Used Parts for Chevelles, and Camaros- Just ask!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks Doug for your help! I don't know if the rear end is from a camaro? The guy that sold me the rear end over the net told me it came out of a 68/69 camaro. The thing is it has welds on the side where it has been on another kind of car. That's what I'm trying to find out what kind of car it's from. Did the chevelles come with 12 bolts also? I know they did on ss. I was going to buy a rear end from cali. out of a 65 chevelle but, had been set up for a 69 camaro. I always thought that the chevelles had coils and not leaf springs.So, if it is out of a chevelle would that matter? Parts are the same aren't they? They are both GM.Right? Where can I find the codes for rear ends for all cars? My book only shows codes for camaros.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Red face

There are no rubber bushings in the middle and no coil plates. The pershes for the camaro have been welded on.The ring gear has 39 teeth and the pinion 7 and it is a possi unit gone to hell! It has 30 spline axles! Is this a good rear end or a piece of crap? Because, it's going to take a lot of money to fix it right with new parts. I don't know about buying used parts! First time I buy things over the net used and was a bad experience for me so, I don't know if I should buy a used possi or not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Mosier sells complete Camaro rear ends now, all new housing etc. I think they are about 1,700.00. Weigh that against what it takes to buy an orig. one , then replace all the worn out junk in it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

I have a carrier from a 12 bolt that was in a 79 monte .I was told it came from an Impala ,would this carrier be the same as a camaro 12 bolt?

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech

4 Speed-yes that carrier (as long as it was not from a truck rear end) should fit into any other GM car 12 bolt housing (if set up properly)..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

4- speedNot always. There is a 12 bolt Impala rear out there, (' 71-74 or so) that has 31 spline axles, and basically is a 10 bolt, right down to the housing. I have a posi unit for one in my shop now, brand new, and it's a door stop. It won't fit a thing. So, they aren't all alike. Also, the B-O-P 12 bolts are the same way, except they have 28 spline axles, and the 10 bolt insides. I have ended up with some of the craziest posi chunks within the past year.

Crazy- it all depends on the condition. What are the #'s on the posi? #140 or 174? That is the series carrier. They can be rebuilt, but if the housing is butchered,and you have cracked gears, you might look otherplaces. You can get a BRAND NEW Mosier, built to your specs for $1695 or so. Just like mentioned above.
------------------
Many Used Parts for Chevelles, and Camaros- Just ask!

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 01-15-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode