Where do I look to see if my "numbers match"? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

I recently bought a 68 RS convertible with a 327. I'd like to see if the numbers match, but I don't know where to look on the block. And do I compare it to the VIN?? If so, will the block have the same, long, VIN number as on the dash?

Any help is appreciated!

[email protected]
Grove City, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 00, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

If you look in front of the passenger side head there is a pad that will have some letters and numbers stamped on it. Write them down, then compare the string of numbers that is 5 or 6 letters long to the last numbers on you VIN, this will be the sequence number of your car. If the numbers are the same you most likely have matching numbers. You will also want to check the letters, a total of 3, these will tell you what the horsepower and size is. If you have more questions check the Tag Team section, that section should have answers to any question you might have.

Steve R
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 00, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

That "pad" you're looking for is actually part of the BLOCK DECK in front of the passenger side head (I wasn't sure if that was clear on the previous post). It's often covered with grease & dirt and tucked behind and under the alternator. Kinda hard to read even if you know exactly what you're looking for.

There will actally be two series of numbers, one will have a code for WHERE/WHEN it was built, the other should (as he said before)be the last 6 numbers of your VIN followed by a 2 letter suffix code (went to 3 in 1970) that would tell what size engine, type of transmission, even SOME options like AC or Smog equipment, many are "model specific" ie: Camaro, Fullsize, Chevy II etc.

There are various levels "#s matching" depending on how far you want to go with it (Vette people are real freaks about this stuff). There are numbers on the Trans, distributor, carb, rear end, etc., etc., etc. that can be traced to a specific type, time, and place, and often to the original car installation.

All this is only of any REAL importance if you're trying to document/justify a High Dollar allegedly rare/unique vehicle during a sale or in judging. An original Matching #s car IS worth more, but I question the desire to trade the FUN of owning a Camaro for the Competion/Pedigree/Money thing. Besides you can't be lulled into a false sense of security because there are a number of unethical folks out there who are more than willing to create whatever "matching #s" car you want or they think they can get a good dollar for.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 00, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Cool

Thanks for the info folks!! I'll check it our first thing tomorrow. I'll also check out the tag team page. Thanks again for the info!!!

Pop D Top - To comment on your reply above; I have no intention of ever selling my baby.... er, i mean car. The thing is its in pretty good shape and almost everyone asks if the numbers match. I don't mind saying it's not. At least that way I sound as if I know a little about my own car.

Whether the engine is a 'love child' or not, she's still mine and I'll always provide a good home for her.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 00, 12:06 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Wink

hey, Dan....

give me a call...I've got a couple books you can borrow to decode to your hearts content...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 7/1/00)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 00, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Very cool! It's OK for it to be your baby. Know it, learn about it, have FUN with it. And by all means take our friend up on his offer to loan you his books. Most of us share books and other info all the time, it's one of the best parts of this hobby. You will meet some great people who share your enthusiasm for what was built to be a car but, because of people like you and me, has become an icon...some say a lifestyle.

For some more info you might also try the "CAMARO RESEARCH GROUP" at www.camaros.org they've got ongoing research trading cowl tag codes, various markings, and much more for those who want a more detailed guide to manufacturing procedures and history.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 00, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone!!

>>> Am I looking in the right place? I'm standing in front of the car, looking down at the engine. Looking at the passenger side head, there's a little ledge just above the water pump. Is that where it's supposed to be? If so, someone stole it - cuz there aint nuthin there!

Steve M, I'll definately call and try to get over your place to pick the books up. I'll take the car over and let you have a look at her. Call you soon...

Here's a pic of it anyway: http://members2.clubphoto.com/not198...ics/photo4.jpg

PS: Pop D Top - I'm with you, buddy!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech

Hey bitchin' car!

It sounds like you're looking in the right spot. The Front (vertical) end of the head stops about 3/8" short of the front of the block leaving that little horizontal ledge. It IS directly above where the water pump bolts to the front of the block. The numbers are STAMPED into this machined surface...just barely going BELOW the surface, they are NOT CAST and thereby sticking up.

They're hard to see on an installed engine with all its accessories bolted in place. The stamping is so shallow that a little grease can fill them up and hide them completely. Be sure the surface is thoroughly cleaned. You might even want to use a flashlight or a mirror to look down behind the alternator.

Then again, the possibility is that they're NOT THERE at all. Being so shallow, a mild "decking" during a rebuild could machine them off altogether. This is why Vette people with "Matching Numbers" vehicles insist that the block NOT be decked so that these numbers remain intact.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 06:51 AM
Tech Team

Wink

There's a small tag on the back of your underwear; check it against the tag on the back of your jeans.

------------------
"A days pay on the wild side"
67'Chevelle 396/400/4.10
used to have 84' z28 with all the goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode