'69 Seat Belts - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My '69 has lap belts only and they're not in great condition. I have seen pictures of the shoulder belt setup and it looks like a separate strap that attaches to the inner roof edge and then stores in a clip. I have no idea how it connects to the lap belt???

I'm looking for a decent 3 point seat belt setup - not necessarily stock. Retractable would be nice. Any thoughts or experiences on upgrading or converting to this type of setup?

Can I just add the shoulder strap if my car didn't come with it originally? Or do I have to change out the lap belts as well? Is there a better (safer) solution available?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
'99 HD Road King Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 08:50 AM

Cool

When I first had my Camaro restored some 15 years ago it came with the shoulder belt that clipped to the roof, when I got it back, much to my dismay they were gone. Ive since converted the car to a more streetable ride. I cant remember how they connected though. I am thinking about going with a bolt to the floor 5-point harness (-the crotch strap). They dont look to bad if you can find a place to put them when not in use.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 08:52 AM
Tech Team

The shoulder belt bolts up to the inner roof area. There are small clips that hold the belt up close to the headliner when it is not in use. The belt doesnt really attach to the lap belt. There is an additional female belt that bolts to the floor where the current female lap belt bolts. The shoulder harness is taken down and cliped into the additional female belt. I have the system and hate it.
I am thinking about adding a 4 point cage uses a new style seatbelt. I could mount the system right on the cage. Already have a system from 93 Mustang, just need to finish figuring out how to mount it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The rollbar mount was one option I was considering. I'm not real excited about tearing things up to get the rollbar and braces in - but it does give you a great mounting point and I could probably use any number of 3 point retractable systems that could be found in the local wrecking yard.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with MikeDF80. The two belt system sucks. I can't lean forward to fiddle with the radio, or turn on the wipers or headlights without unbuckling the shoulder strap.

I thought about the rollbar as well, but like Rocky, didn't want to mess up the interior. Also, you loose any stealth advantage you had in trying to hide the real purpose of the car (i.e., go really fast!!).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode