302 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I just got a 283 crank, rods and looking for a small journal 327 block. My next camaro will have a 302 in it. but i need a little help first. I've never see 302 piston listed in the catalogs where is the best place to get them. next is the cam go with the 30-30 or something newer. The heads i want to stay as stock looking possible, but i was thinking about vortec's, (11.5 compression on pump gas maybe?) any ideas, rember this is just "fun" project under 4000 bog no problem(that's why they make 4.88's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech

I have a .030 over 327 block, '67 date in my shop, possibly needs honed.Also the 30/30 cam is available in blueprint grinds from Crane, Lunati, and others if you want the same style cam for it.Also several correct aluminum intakes for Z's, and some '69 Z heads.Email for more info.You didn't post where you were located, I'm in North Georgia.

------------------
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech

And now for the bad news....there's only about 2 pistons available for the 302, and they're both forged, and both are around $500+ a set.
Why a 302?? If you're gonna drive it every day, you'll be MUCH happier with a 327 or 350.
My advice if you do build a 302 is to go with some good small port aluminum heads like Edelbrocks, and a smaller than the 30-30 cam, something like a CC 280H or maybe the 274, to try to pump up the bottom end.
Stock 302's had NO low end torque and really, IMHO, no fun to drive around town.
They would run like a banshee from 4000-8000 rpm however.
Oh, yeah...I don't think the Vortecs will clear the domes on the available pistons.

[This message has been edited by Dave Birdwell (edited 02-08-2000).]

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 00, 05:49 PM

Just curious, why a 302? If you are building a replica Camaro, nobody's gonna know which crank and pistons are in the engine. If its for fun and performance, theres better engines to be had for much less money. I am building a 67 Z/28 replica and I gave up real soon on trying to build a 302. The cost of original type parts will kill you.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 12:55 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i just wanted to say that i had a 302 with a 4-speed in my 68 camaro and i was a lot happier with my 327. sure the 302 screamed at high rpm's and it sounded wild at the stop light, due to the 302 off road cam, but, it was not a street engine. it loaded up a lot and i had to take it out a run it to clean it out, which i didn't mind, but then again, i had a friend with a 1940 coupe that had a 302 in it and i worked fine for him. but then again, that car didn't come out much. but like i said, i traded my 327 for this 302 and that was a big mistake, big mistake.
just my .02 cents.
later,
bruce69camaro
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 02:09 AM

I think you are getting great advice. Why not build an LT-1 spec 350 and just put the 302 - 290 HP decal on the air cleaner. NO ONE can tell the internals and you will be a LOT happier with the driveablility and power...and likely save money on your build up. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. The golden rule of cars "there's no substitute for cubic inches" A built LT-1 will dust a 302 any day.

[This message has been edited by 70 RS/Z-28 (edited 02-09-2000).]
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 02:54 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah , and add a good lopey idle cam to it, and most people won't know the difference. The 302 would be nice from a "Original style" point of view, but you will be more happy with a more streetable, torque engine. But, I'll still sell you this block if your interested, or a ' 70 350 block sitting right beside it.I can even put you in a 350/345hp. aluminum headed ZZ2 crate engine that's fresh, but it won't look original if that's what your after.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 09:14 AM
Tech Team
Dave

If you want a 302 build a 302! I don't know were these guys are getting $500 FOR A set of pistons.I paid the same for mine as I would have paid for 350 pistons. You have to ask your machine shop or piston manufactuer though because thet are not widely advertised.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech

Call Jeg's or summit and see how much TRW # 2210A is, if it's still available.I bet it's more than $200 for a set.Then there's Ross, J & E, Manley, and some others, but I guarantee( do your best Justin Wilson impersonation) they will be atleast $500 a set!

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 02-09-2000).]
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I now have 68 ss396 with a 450 horse and 500 t 454 so i know all about no replacement for displacement, but you ever riden a 250r or banshee 4-wheeler with a set of high rev pipes they have no torque but what a rush!!! That's what a 302 feels like sure a 350 is cheaper and a bbc will burn the tires at will but it's not the same. As for a 350 in a light car out running a simular built 302 maybe but the fun factor can not be match. and that's what it's all about have fun
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
302 pistons are expensive. I think the ones you get now are 12-1 comp. and have to be shaved down. A 350 built up is a all around better engine. I have several Z28's, 69-70. Stock 69 Z's are fun but don't ever get in a race with anyone. You could build a LT1 350 like in a 70 Z and have a great engine. I also had a Banshee and it was faster and more fun than a 69 Z.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 00, 11:28 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Summit has 302 pistons(TRW) for $347.12

[This message has been edited by snakedr (edited 02-23-2000).]
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 00, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I built a real DZ 302 for a guy about 3 years ago and I got most of the parts from GM. It was expensive, but they had the pistons, cam and most of the other parts. He wanted to restore the car as corect as posible, thats why the GM parts.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 00, 03:44 AM

Wink

I didn't respond to this the first time I went into this post but I've been inspired by a few of the replies. To build a 67-68-69 Z/28 "replica" and capture the true essence of that 302 is pure extasy. A buddy of mine had a 69 ZEE (circa 1978) and just the sound of that engine with that "idle", the solid lifters clattering away, the exhaust emiting that lumpy "fast" idle, the M22, the 12 bolt posi with 4.11's, it's the whole package! The way that front end shot up when he unleashed it! If you want to capture that, go ahead and build it and never mind about "replacement for displacement" (which has it's obvious merits,for certain set ups). In this era you don't, or need to, race with it, it's the "package" the "essence" of that era that stands out with building a first generation, Z/28 inspired 302, that you want to capture. And it was no slouch in the 1/4 mile,I've got magazine write ups (of that era) that had this car in the high 13's. I don't know if I've explained myself here, or just rambling but my inspiration goes back to that time, (I guess i'm showing my age), and don't forget about that Muscle Car Review (last year?)feature on a GM Restoration of a red '67 Z/28 that used the high tech modern LT1 that was stroked to 3.00". GM felt the same way about restoring it the way it was. It just wouldn't be the same with a 350 in it.

sorry for going on...
Joe B
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 00, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech

I personally can vouch for the torque of the 302cid as my brother and I built one last year and the torque was unbelievable. Our engine powered a heavy 55 Bel Air and toted it well. Our cam selection was a second generation 302 (solid lift)design. As for the pistons, they will run bout the same price as any GOOD aftermarket pistons. As for the cylinder heads. I would suggest a pair of good flowing 350 heads- 3973487, 3973487X, or 3998993 each of which carry the 75/76 cc chambers. These heads in my opinion are better than the "HUMPED" because of the expense in putting hard seats and acessery holes needed in order to run "HUMPS". Also keep in mind that you are dealing with a small journal engine. Those cranks have a potentail to snap with higher CR's "ours was a large" so we were able to run CR of 14:1 and better. It would be wise to keep your CR below 11.5 which can be established with the various domes that are available. "I say go for it". GOOD LUCK

Hope any of this is a help.

[This message has been edited by 71 Camairo (edited 02-23-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode