old intake on vortec heads - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

I am rebuilding the 350 in my 71 K10 4x4. My goal is 370-410hp. I already have headers, Demon 650carb, performer Rpm intake, MSd ignition. I plan to instal a comp cams xtreme energy cam 218 226 at .050 and .462 .480 on the lift. I cannot decide on which heads to use.
Here are the questions: If I buy the Vortech heads drilled for old style manifolds, will they seal up with the performer RPM or will oil leaks be a continueing problem? Can I use the stock springs with this cam or will they bind?
If I break down and buy the FAst burn heads will the angle plugs work with the Headmen headers I currently use with my straight plug stock heads? How do these 2 heads compare to the trick flow aluminum heads in performance?
All help appreciated.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech

i would use the vortec performer intake..the intake port's on the vortec head's are about .25 inc taller then a standard 23 deg head. so vacume and oil leak's are a problem and also the port's are miss mached that is a big performance hit! you need to change the spring's on the vortec head's to go above about a .475 gross lift the spring's will bind, but the general has a hot cam set of spring's that are great! and they come complete new spring's, keeper's and top cover's and they can handle i belive over a .500 gross lift. hope this help's. you can also call sallee chevroet at 1-800-545-0048 they are in oregon and can explain it all too ya..they are GMPP dealer and have a great engine shop with a dyno.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 01-15-2001).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

oh i forgot try a comp cams #08-411-8 roller cam. it will giveyou with the vortek head's around 350 to 370 horse, and 390 to 410 Foot pound's of torque and you can keep the vortec heads right out of the box no mod's needed! i would recomend a roller rocker's too but you can't go past a stock ratieo with out clerancing the vortec head's..oh and to go above a .475 gross lift on the vortec head's you would also need to put screw in rocker studs.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 01-15-2001).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 01:27 PM
Tech Team

altrob1970,
The headers for the straight plugs will not work with the angle plug heads. Atleast one boot will hit the primary tubes. I think you will have a lot of trouble finding angle plug headers for your '71 K10. I would do a lot of research on angle plug headers for your truck before you buy those heads. I could not find any angle plug headers for my '78 K25. Good luck.

Rick
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

vortec heads are stright plug head's and they work fine with my thorly headers
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 02:24 PM

Take a look at the past two months of Chevy High Performance (the absolute best mag, next to circle track). They did an engine build-up using the TrickFlow 23 deg. heads. With a Performer RPM air gap, a 274 cam and a 750 carb, they made 411 hp and 433 ftlbs on 87 OCTANE!!!!!
And.....it didnt rattle.

I really believe the Fast Burn heads flow the numbers right out of the box and do not respond to well to porting. The Trick Flow heads flow some increadible numbers as a true 'right out of the box' type product. The Fast Burn heads do not even come close to the Trick Flows. Not to mention, the Trick Flows have a smaller intake runner volume which is a benefit for a street type motor.

Check it out, I was quite impressed....

Tom

[This message has been edited by chacane67 (edited 01-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chacane67 (edited 01-15-2001).]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 05:28 PM

The Vortec heads are good heads but you will have to change the springs or you'll have binding with that cam. The Fast burns with the angle plugs will most likely give you clearance problems. I would go with the Trick Flow heads. Just look at combustion chambe cc's, Intake runner volumes, And valve sizes and custom build to your application.

------------------
One Fine '83
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech

I have nearly the exact same setup in my 78 1/2 ton truck, except that I am using a XE268 cam and a 600 edelbrock carb. I also am using the vortec heads and they are great. I just bought a K-kit and it has everything you need...cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, timing chain, valve seals (they wont work on the vortec heads) and lube. Everything fit great and the price was good (purchased thru summit racing). Heres a thought to consider though...you already have a standard pattern rpm intake...you will never see the full potential of the vortec heads if you use a standard intake because of the rather severe port mismatch. So, if you purchase the vortec heads ($400-425), you will need a matching performer rpm intake ($175), a set of centerbolt valve covers (I think i gave about $50 for plain black ones with new bolts, breather, and oil fill cap), a set of rail tip rockers ($50 for stock replacements, or $150 for comp cams magnum roller tip guided rockers), and of course the matching valve springs. Grand total is about $700 not including gaskets and bolts or the added expense of the valvetrain parts. The intake gasket alone was like $26...I purchased the heads, edelbrock performer rpm intake, valve covers, all the bolts and gaskets (except for the head gaskets), and the valve cover breather and oil fill cap from pace chevrolet...they are very good to deal with and they know their stuff. You can go this route, or for an extra $100 (approx) you can get the tfs heads that already have better valve springs (good to about .560 lift), screw in studs and guideplates, and will accept the intake you already have. Actually, considering you wont need to purchase new springs, locks, and retainers, the end price will be about the same, and you will have a more durable heads with way more power potential....plus the added "oooh, aaaah" factor of aluminum heads. Dont get me wrong, I love the vortec heads and they run great...I went this route because I also needed a new intake and already had the correct rocker arms, but I think you would be better off with the tfs heads. Just my opinion.
And by the way, I built my engine almost identical to the one in chevy hi-performance except mine has a bit more compression and a smaller carb.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode