street performance - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hello, I think this site is great. Im looking for help with a street driven 350. Its a standard goodwrench 350 with headers, 700r4 trans. Ive deduced that the edelbrock carb and performer intake are good choices, my question is can I do better than the performer cam? I am uninterested in emissions as it is not a worry, so can I run something with a tighter lobe separation than the 112lsa of the performer. I was wondering if an RV cam with a 108 lsa would be a good choice like Comp cams 206/212 .425 .440 108 LSA or should I go for the 260H 212/212 .444 .444 110 LSA
I dont have a tach, dont know my axle ratio but I do know that Im looking for street 0-70 performance and not much else. Will I be revving past 4200 rpms given these conditions? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech

Call Comp Cams and talk to them. They will be able to advise a good cam.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

You should check your gear ratio first though.One of the first things a Tech line will ask is your axle ratio.This can make a big difference when picking a cam.A cam that works well with a 4.11 might not be so hot if you are running 2.73's.A little extra homework done now,will pay off later.Just my .02.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 07:07 AM
Tech Team

Axle ratio, compression and converter are all important. Don't mismatch your cam and converter, or you'll be unhappy.

My advice, unless you are willing to take some big steps, leave well enough alone until you are.

For a motor like that I would be inclined to run with an L79 cam(2200-5500 rpm)(Its my favorite mild sbc cam), a 2800 converter, some 3.42's and your all set. As you can see though, you are going to open up every piece of your driveline. You may already have gear though.

Check your glovebox for the rpo codes...look for these
G80(posi) and anything else with G...this will be your gear designation.

------------------
"A days pay on the wild side"
67'Chevelle 396/400/4.10
used to have 84' z28 with all the goodies
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback this discussion, but I'm having an engine assembled as we speak and the camshaft is a point of contention.

I'm talking a daily-driven convertible with Turbo 400 and 3.08 rear. I'm having the engine built with 9:1 CR (that's not TOO much right?). The builder wants to sell me an RV Cam (.422/.440), I'd considered the L79 (.447/.447?), but I'm thinking an L82 (.450/.460). I'm looking for streetable with some cajones but don't want to play king of the dragstrip/boy racer. Suggestions/Input?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech

One thing all you guys need to think about is your heads. Your cam and heads should really complement each other. If your heads flow better on the intake than the exhaust side (many heads do) then make sure you have a dual pattern camshaft (one with more duration on the exhaust side than the intake side. Call Comp Cams, Crower, or Crane. Any will give you a good idea of what you need to match your setup. Steve Laabs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all, I spoke with comp Cams and they suggested the XE256.Anyone have experience with this type of grind either positive or negative. Thanx again
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Brent:

The lobe separation angle (LSA) does not determine peak power, but where in the RPM range power will peak.

All other cam specs being equal, a narrow or tight (108*) LSA moves the power range down in RPM and produces a narrow powerband. Cams with a tight LSA tend to have a lot overlap and idle poorly.

Again, all other specs being equal, a wide LSA (114*) produces a wider powerband. A wider LSA provides less overlap so idle quality is improved.

The point is that you can't necessarily look at LSA by itself to determine the cam you want.

POP D TOP - the specs you provided were for lift. You can't just look at lift to determine performance potential BUT, in general, increased lift generates increased power assuming all other cam specs are the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode