setting intitial valve lash - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Question

What is the procedure for setting intial lash on hydrolic setup. I put in a new cam and lifters along with new crane roller rockers and the books I have don't tell me how to do it with hydrolic lifters. It is a 68 with a 327. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you

------------------
The night-time is the right time
****James Bondo****
Cars:'68 Camaro RS, '73 Porsche 914, '69 Datsun 510
www.whosnextracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 11:29 AM

Hey sureguy. First you have to find TDC. Start on your # 1 cylinder, and start rotating the pushrod with your fingers. Tighten down the nut until the pushrod justs stops. This is zero lash. Now you have to decide how much preload you want to put on the lifter. I would suggest a half turn. Now just turn the engine 90 degrees and proceed to the next cylinder. With this method you'll be at TDC on every cylinder. The firing order is 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. Remember the engine will reach TDC ( top dead center) twice. Once for the compression stroke, and once for the exhaust stroke. To make sure your on the compression stroke, it's a little bit trickier when you don't have any other components on the car. I have noticed that when I'm on the exhaust stroke most all of my pushrods will be pritty even on the 1,3,5,7 bank, yet when I'm on the compression stroke, cylinders three and five will have pushrods that are noticably at different heights. I would suggest buying some degree tape to put on the harmonic balancer to help you find every 90 degrees. Also make sure you are turning the engine clockwise ( from the front of the engine). Hope this helps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Also, If you pull the spark plug and put your finger over the hole on #1, you will feel pressure as the piston comes up on the compression stroke...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Cool Thanks, they should really put that in the books!

------------------
The night-time is the right time
****James Bondo****
Cars:'68 Camaro RS, '73 Porsche 914, '69 Datsun 510
www.whosnextracing.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 12:47 PM

the best way to tell where the lifter is on the cam: as soon as the intake valve closes, the exhaust valve is on the base circle of the cam; as soon as the exhaust valve opens the intake valve is on the base circle of the cam. the base circle or heel of the cam is the lowest point the lifter will ever be on the cam. the valve lash depends on you cam and spring combo. My grandfather taught me to set valves while the engine was running. One valve at a time, loosen the rocker nut until you hear the lifter "tap." slowly tighten the nut down to just silence the tap, then go 1/4 to 1/2 more rotation with the wrench. Papa used to say tighter for tourqe and looser (1/4 turn) for higher rpm power. this is not the safest way because of oil splash and the risk of fire. I have been using it for a while on street machine, mine and friends. it seems to work very well. be careful and good luck.

josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode