TransAm Posi? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Question

hey Camaro entusiasts. I'm looking at buying my second camaro. 1984 Z/28. I was wandering if they come stock with a posi rear end? And does anyone know if all transams came factory with Posi rears. Someone told me this but I want to know for sure before I go buy a rear for my current Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech

I used to have an 84 Z28, 305, 5spd, it did not come with a posi. I know that all of the first and second generation Trans Ams came with posi, however, I don't know about 3rd generation Trans Ams.

Steve R.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech

I owned a 1984 Trans Am that came with the 305/5 speed that came factory with the four wheel disc and posi traction. My brother had an 84 Camaro Z28 w/four wheel disc and 5 speed and it had a posi as well. The car you are looking at should have a posi in it already.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

I am sure the majority have posi but its not a requirement. Years ago when they were new a friend had a 84 Z and it didn't have posi. I have another friend that ordered a 87 or 88 Trans Am new and ordered it without posi but everything else. I believe his reasoning was he wasn't going to race it and we live in MA where it snows alot and if you have to deal with snow then you know posi sucks in it. Yet I have a stripped 83 TA in my back yard that came with a 373 posi disk rear and I have the build sheet for it also. It did become std at some point but I don't know when. Going back as early as the mid eighties it definatley wasn't required. But who knows, someone could have switched rears out by now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech

Check glove box or console for build sheet sticker with code G80 for posi. No guarantee that it is still in there, but that's a start.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech

When looking for a posi in the 3rd gen series, there were two different rear ends available. The one in mine is a Borg-Warner 9 bolt. These are good diffs and just as strong if not stronger than the 10 bolt. Down side to these are the availability of parts and different gear ratios.

68SS, I have to disagree with you about posi in the snow. I would take a posi over a non-posi in snow & ice anytime. Here in Alaska we deal with this almost 6 months of the year!

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

thanx for all the insite on the posi traction. The Camaro that i'm looking at now is an 84 z/28 with a 305 and 700-R4 trans. It has power windows and AC. Maybe this will help with determining if it has Posi or not. L8ter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

The answer to the original question:

No, not all 84 Z-28's came with Posi rears, it was an option

G80 was the option code for posi rear
You can find this code on the RPO placard that is usually stuck to the inside of the console storage compartment or stuck to the underside of the lid to the console storage compartment. My 84 Z has GU6 (3.46 ratio)code and no G80 code.

As far as Trans Am's I am not sure.

POSI sucks in the snow!!

Hope this helps

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently on the rotisserie
1972 Chevelle SS Conv LS3
1984 Z28 w/ZZ4 conversion

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-12-2000).]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode