VIntage road racing ques. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the oportunity to get another rustfree camaro body, complete with good subframe and a 12 bolt rear( i dont really need another project but i just dont learn my lesson). Since the car i have now was set up for drag racing and im tired of trying to make it handle and hook off a hard launch, i was interested in building a vintage racer. I live 45min away from Lyme Rock Park in CT and i go to see vintage races whenever possible and i couldnt help but want to get involved. I wanted to know if any of you could let me know what i would need to build a competitive car, what organizations are around, and any general experiences or advice you could give me. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by jvolk81 (edited 01-16-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 05:36 PM
David Pozzi

I've got a 69 vintage racer Camaro but don't have it running yet.
I vintage race a Lola T-70 Can-Am car and the big events won't allow a newly built Camaro entry to their events.

For entry to a vintage TRANS-AM event the car must have run in the origonal Trans-Am series BEFORE 1973.

Many other groups are not so pickey.
The SCCA San Francisco region allows any car to run if it is old like the first gen Camaro and has a 302 engine.

You can start off with autocross, then run some SCCA Solo I events on race tracks. The Solo I requires an SCCA liscense, which usually means you will have to attend a driving school, (can be in your car.)

There are some other clubs like NASA, here that hold "open track" events and run cars in half hour sessions.

Pick up your local SCCA monthly newsletter and see what events are at your track.
Go out to them and talk to the competetors and see if there is anything you like.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, im already an SCCA member as i used to autocross my 86 camaro. I plan on attending the next vintage event i can to get a little more info. Just looking for any heads up info on the subject before hand so i dont look like an idiot asking too many questions.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 07:18 AM
Tech Team

Just painting my 69 to go Vintage racing next weekend. Check with the Vintage racing club that run events in your area. David Thom is the registar of the Historic Trans am race series. Yes if you want to run with those guys you need a documented trans am car with history from the original series. The cost of playing with those guys is huge.
I was lucky and found a good car to start with.
Major items to consider
1 can you run a 350 motor in your local events ( 302 are expensive to find )
2- use Davids CBB it really cuts the cost of 4 wheel discs from $2000 for the JL8 system to about $400.00 , since the car is not coreect anyway.
3- look around for a roll cage - I have a stock car cage in mine.
4- A 327 early block with a 283 crank is the way most independents went in those days.
5- Its great fun Vintage racing as long as you don't go crazy with the costs.

I hope to have mine on the race track next month- all things going well.
If you want any info let me know. Build stockish engine - high rise manifold, 780 Holley, headers, - have some fun running then fix any issues as they come up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode