Can I convert my 1/4 vent/return line into a 14psi return line for TBI unit??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1969 Camaro with a 307.

Can i convert the 1/4 return line into the tank into a pressurized return line?

I will have an electric inline pump on the feed line, going to a throttle body injection unit. Withing the TBI unit, is a fuel pressure regulator right before the return line. The return line for stock tbi systems is 5/16ths. I would like to convert my 1/4 return line into a 14psi return line.

Is that line specifically a vent line, or can it be pressurized like I would like to do. Has anybody done this before?

I just bought a new tank and sending unit, i got the sending unit with the return line hopeing to be able to do this. I will be using -6 braided steel for my feed line, and -4 for my return. Wich is 3/4" for -6 and 1/4" for -4. Im pretty sure those correspond.

Any suggestions or hints that anybody could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The line itself can be pressurized with no problems; actually the return fuel isn't under much pressure. The problem may be in that the diameter isn't large enough to handle the amount of fuel bypassed. If that is the case you won't be able to properly regulate the fuel pressure at idle or low loads as the return fuel will be backing up in the return line and cause the pressure before the regulator to raise.

Since you haven't installed it yet, why not take the sender down to the local fab shop or radiator shop and have them remove and solder in a larger 5/16 or 3/8" nipple. Then you could run #6 line for the return and be guaranteed of no problems.

You could try it. If the fuel pressure at idle stays within specs you should be okay. If it's too high you'll need to run a larger line back to the tank and get a 5/16 or 3/8" nipple put in the sender instead of the 1/4".

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 06-13-2001).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well stock tbi systems have 3/8 feed and 5/16 return.

think the small drop in dia. to 1/4 will increase pressure. stock tbi pressure is around 9psi, i will be running a higher pressure anyway.
will i kill my pump?

what do you think.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 03:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll probably work. The reason I threw the other stuff out there is because I've had the small line, pressure too high thing happen to me. That way, if it does cause a problem you'll know where to start instead of trying to figure out why the thing is too rich at idle, etc.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode