Fiber optics or Light Monitoring System - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Just purchased a documented unmolested 48,000 mile '68 RS conv. fully loaded, incl. orig console 8-track and the "Fiber Optics" option. I understand the 'optics' option was RARE and told exceptionally rare on a Conv. However, what IS its purpose...exactly? Esp. the "pod" in the back??? I'm having hard time finding any info on this option. Any info is helpful.

[This message has been edited by robertw (edited 07-12-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Wink

Its purpose was to inform the driver of any "burned out" bulbs. As the turn signal bulb flashes, the light is carried throught the fiber optic cable and flashes in the vigilate.

The two on the fenders are for the front turn signals while the "pod is for the rear lights.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 7/1/00)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 06:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Just to add to the info Steve has provided. They also monitor the running lights and headlights. and to give you an idea of value I have seen them on ebay NOS starting at $2,000. My '69 came with them as well but some of the fiber and ends are missing. It's time for me to start looking at the junk yards!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

DjD,

What are the more difficult pieces to find?

I have three (two of a left or right?, one of the other) front fender pieces. I think. I scored them off a late 60's wagon in the boneyard about 15 years ago. If they were correct, and I could find the interior bits at a reasonable price, I'd do the deed.

Thanks. Carl

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 07:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You can get the chrome covers through repro dealers. I haven't seen the fiber or the plastic with the lenses anywhere but ebay. There are special metal ferrals on the ends of the fiber used to keep the fiber in place.(these could be fab'd from thin tubing) Also there are special sockets and gromets to attach the fiber to each light. The rear setup is different on the convertible because it doesn't mount on the package tray like the coupe...

GM actually put this monitoring system on a bunch of different models just not many on each! If you find a car at the junk yard with fiber it could be worth the effort to salvage it, just take care in removing so it doesn't get dammaged.

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I took the whole enchilada, from the ferule to the chrome as a unit. It has, I think, a blue, clear, and green circle in the lens?

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 03:46 AM
Cam
Apprentice
Cameron

It might be helpful if you know someone who works with AT&T or some other cabling company that works with fiber optic cable. It is touchy and delicate to work with, so experienced help is very good.
Yes, the vigilite is quite rare. Looking in junkyards for these kinds of parts is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
My Z28 has the light monitoring system and I also own a 69 Vette with fiber optic's, teh Corvette catalog (mid america, ecklers) offer repair kits for these units. You can buy the fiber optics tubes and some ends, check out the catalogs.

------------------
1969 RS Z28 Black, white deluxe interior
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 07:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I work for GTE.. oops Verizon Communications and the fiber we place in the field is much finer... I know a guy that actually used super glue to splice 2 pieces and the light passed thru fine!

JC69RSZ28 thanks for the tip! do you have a web site or number for "midamerica, ecklers"?

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 00, 09:20 AM
Tech Team

M&H Electric or one of the other good wiring harness reproducers might be able to help you out. I know that they do some first rate fiber optic harnesses for 68-71 Corvettes (which came standard with a light monitoring system) and I imagine that they could put together a good system for a Camaro if the two versions are similar.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 07:04 PM

You might try contacting [email protected], he knows everything there is to know about Camaros. I own a 69 Rally with Fiber Optics, but the previous owner felt the need to cut the rear lense out of the car completely and I haven't been able to locate another. I do have working lenses on the front fenders, but I also understand there was a lense located in the ashtray.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

robertw, how is that 8-track wired up and where are does the wiring go through the console? I bought an original 8-track player for my car and would like to put it in this spring. I have an original AM-FM "blue dot" stereo radio.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I have probably enough pieces to make a complete coupe set if anyone is interested. As was mentioned earlier, the fiber is a MUCH larger diameter on the car than is used in the telcom industry. I patched a cut in mine with super glue also. It is a little dimmer than the other but not much. I bought a NOS fron half off of ebay so they are out there.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 09:15 AM
Tech Team

Is the fiber glass or is it plastic? I think given how thick it is and the fact you can repair it with super glue, not the best con ductor of light, that it may be a form of plastic rather than high quality "glass" like most of the com equipment uses.

Something that has a cross section of 62.5 microns won't cut it connected to the tail lamp housing.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 09:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

It's plastic. There are about a dozen strands in it so the diameter is fairly large. The most difficult part to find was the lens that goes in the fender insert. They are generally all cracked. I got lucky and found that NOS pair so they are mint.

Beware that the coupe and convertible rear section is different. Namely the pod that mount to the rear seat.
------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

[This message has been edited by rs1968ss (edited 01-06-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode