Lifter tick!! help me please!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Exclamation

I have a 94 LT1 in my 68, but i have a lifter tick on the drivers side. I've pulled both side rocker covers, and nothing is bent, or loose. I can't seem to pinpoint which lifter is ticking though. Any method for eliminating 1 at a time?
Thanks,
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 08:48 AM
David Pozzi

Try using a piece of hose as a stethescope.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 08:49 AM
Tech Team

some people here will say that I am crazy but I to had a lifter tick on the driver side of my truck , then on the driver side of my 69 camaro , then on the driver side of my 67 camaro , now it is on the driver side of my new 67 camaro ???????????? this noise seem's to sound like a lifter but I have gave up on fixing it and just accept it as part of a chevy small block , I have never had anything to break or tear up , I know this wont help you but it may make you feel better .

------------------
67 RS 327 deluxe tach gauges , camaro's rule !

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

It may be one of your fuel injectors. They have a tendency to be noisy, also and sound like a lifter. You can run some injector cleaner thru the fuel system and see if that helps any. Just a thought.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I found the tick, it was #7 cylinder, exhaust lifter, is ticking. Tried tightening it, but it didn't go away. Hmmm. Now what? Should i pull the intake and replace lifters, or what?

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

Back in the "old days", the tried and true method was to simply drain a quart of oil from your engine, then add a quart of automatic transmission fluid. Worked most every time to quiet noisy lifters.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 11:53 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Instead of trans fluid I think the stuff to use is "Marvels Mystery Oil"...

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Is that a permenent fix? Or will it show back up at my next oil change? I've never heard of that before. I'll try anything if i don't have to tear into the internals. Why would 1 lifter be noisy and all the others aren't? Did i damage something?

------------------
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 01:04 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I would say it's a temp fix. Change the oil and it'll start clacking again... More of a bandage than a fix.

Did you reset the adjustment on the one you tightened up? Depending on how much you tightened it, you could be doing more damage if you left it!

How much mileage is on the motor? Might want to check your oil filter for metal, If the #7 exhaust lobe is going away it might explain why tightening the adjustment doesn't quite things down.

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

Teetoe,

Take the rocker arm off and check the ball to be sure it is ok, also look where the push rod goes in the rocker, and look at the tip of the push rod. If all these things check out then take a long screw driver and push on 3 or 4 valves to compare the spring pressure with the noisy one. If the spring pressure is ok, then take something to pry gently back and forth on the valve spring retainer to see if you have valve guide wear. Wear in the guide will sound like lifter noise, but so will broke valve springs.

Larry
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

Well, it CAN be a permanent fix, or temporary, depends on WHY the lifter is "tapping". Teetoe, your lifter has 2 parts that concern you at present. One, the ball check valve. If a microscopic piece of dirt or debris gets stuck in the passageway to the ball check valve, or under the ball, it will block all oil going into the lifter, thereby preventing the lifter from pumping up fully, and you will hear a "tapping". Second is the plunger in the lifter, which can also get stuck due to dirt, debris. or a build-up of "varnish', preventing it from moving up or down, again causing a "tapping". The reason that Auto Transmission Fluid works in correcting these problems is that ATF is a fantanstic "penetrating oil". (By the way, if you are tired of paying out the wazoo for wd-40, crc, penetro 90, etc., buy a $1.oo plastic spray bottle with adjustable nozzle and fill it full of ATF. It will cut rust, free frozen bolts, etc. better than the high dollar stuff, and costs just pennies). Anyway, the ATF will circulate with your oil in the engine and "penetrate" the lifter, dissolving and removing the crud in it. Very simple, cheap, and effective. You're in a diagnostic mode right now, anyway. If after a couple of days of driving the sound is still there, then go to the more difficult steps such as Larry suggested above, since then in all likelyhood, your problem is not just a dirty, sticking valve, but rather a more serious mechanical malfunction.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the great replies guys. I removed the pushrod and rocker from the engine, and there is no abnormal wear. This car will go no where until i determine why it is ticking. In my book it ticks because there is something wrong, and i don't want to mask it so I'll feel beter about driving it. I'm going to try the ATF, and if it comes back, the intake comes off.
Thanks guys.

------------------
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
RAY

before you rip into that engine make sure other noise producers are not causing a problem. check that the spark plug wire boot is ON the plug and make extra certain that there is not an exhaust leak between the cylinder head and gasket or header, these sound just like a loose or ticking rocker arm. Push the boots on and tighten the header bolts.

good luck
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 05:30 PM
Banned

Smile

Marvel Mystery Oil is gooood stuff. Will unstick stuck rings very well. pdq67

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 00, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks. After i removed the pushrod and rocker from #7 exhaust, i restarted the engine, and the tick was gone. So i'm pretty sure it's something in that drivtrain.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode