69 Camaro tranny/shifter swap - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 05:37 PM
69 Man

Question

I am swapping my 69 from 4 spd to auto. I am wanting to use my stock console, and use a Hurst V Matic 2 ratchet shifter. I will have to fabricate something to fill in the space in the console around the shifter. I was wondering if anyone has done this, and the right way about going and doing this. I was also wondering, I have never seen a aftermarket ratchet shifter that will fit in a stock console in a 67-69. To my knowledge, no one makes one. Does anyone? I have been out of the auto transmissions for 6 years or so now, I had a 4 speed. Please steer me the right way!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

I have the B&M StarShifter in my 69. One of the left hand supports on the lower half of the console is cut off, but that doesn't show since it's under the console.
The shifter fits fine in the stock opening and has a shifter boot that looks almost a 4 speed to the casual eye.
The drawback to this setup is there is no position indicator. I'm planning to put the stock shifter back in as soon I can find a reasonable one.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech

I'd go with a Pro Ratchet or Pro stick. I like em especially if your gonna manually shift once in a while. Don't know about the console thing or whatever but the Pro Stick is a little more versatile FYI. I would think you could use the console but you might have to take out the plates. My $.02

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech

Check out the archives of CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE. There was a guy who put a B&M MEGA SHIFTER in a 69 camaro console and made it fit like stock. His name is Ronnie Hernandez. It fit perfectly annd wasnt hard to do. Dont know the issue but it was the one with a red camaro on the cover and and had all cool camaro upgrades and fixes on it. The following issue had a small paragraph an how he accomplished the job. From wht I got out of it it wasnt that difficult to do no ajor fabrication work ad it looks awesome. If you email Chevy Hight performace Im sure they can help you out. Hope this helps. good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 02:56 PM

Hey 69 Man,

I just emailed you a copy of the article that Mark67ss was talking about.

69er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode