Matching #'s? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

i am new to the world of camaros, what exactly does the term matching numbers mean, and how much does it affect the value of your car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 00, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Matching numbers can significantly affect the price of a Camaro....especially a performance model.

The definition of matching #'s is a little vague. Some people state that it means that the engine casting, date code, and pad stampings (application, date, and VIN) match the car that the motor is in (ie - that it is the original motor).

I personally believe that matching #'s means that the engine, transmission, and rear end dates and codes all match the car (are all original).

Hope this made some sense.....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

My interpretation of matching numbers is when the engine code, date code and VIN on the engine/trans/rear match the VIN and date on the car itself. When the engine code & dates match but the VIN isn't on the engine, I would refer to it as a "correct" car. Without the "original VIN matching engine" in a car, it's not matching numbers to me. I realize that Chevrolet often never stamped the VIN onto an engine, and in that case the codes and dates should match the protect-o-plate if it's still with the car. This is my definition of matching numbers. A lot of these classic car dealers will call a car matching numbers if the engine is from the same model and year as what they are trying to sell.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I know what I thought "Matching Numbers" meant for alot of years. Now you can rent number stamps and buy POP's, trim tags and a few other things. If a person searched hard enough, and spent enough money, they could probably buy original looking papers with a dealer name of their choice, and all the info. off of their car on them. If you think I'm way off base, do some research and tell me I'm wrong. So, what does numbers matching really mean?
Rick
'68 Camaro SS 427 Not #'s matching
'66 Yenko Stinger #YS-100 #'s matching
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

A car with supposedly matching numbers is a good start, but the buyer must always beware of fraud. From what I've seen it is obvious when a Camaro is not correct and easy to verify non-matching numbers. Sure there are always good fakes which the buyer must decide on. I see very few 69 Z28s in my area so when I do see one I try to have a closer look. It seems like 1 out of 2 have something incorrect about them. For example the last Z28 I saw had a console mounted automatic transmission shift bar. No need to look any further at that one.
Mark
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 00, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Red face

I agree YenkoYs100. There are guys making protect-o-plates, restamping blocks, aging fake warranty books, rebodying cars, etc. It is definitely buyer beware territory when buying matching #'s Chevrolet cars. It's a shame it took GM so long to realize the advantage of putting the engine option into the VIN. But, the guys on the assembly line have been known to put the wrong engine into a car for one reason or another, so you could be the original owner of an SS350 and have an LM1 engine in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode