MIG welding wire selections - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hello everyone,

I have a quick ? relating to mig's , I have a 90amp Craftsman Mig that I just purchased. its great, I currently have only used flux core wire, since my gas bottle was 88 bux , refills are only between 10 and 19 bux. my main ? is this. I am running .24 steel wire, and .30 flux core (not at the same time!) everyone says they like flux core better, but I cant seem to get a good CLEAN weld. it leaves too much sludge and is hard to get a good weld puddle. But when I use the Steel wire with the 75/25 mixture bottle it welds awesome.

the only stinker is it is usually windy in my storage facility where I store my car, and VERY DRAFTY when the door is closed. so that is why I use flux core wire.

Is there some trick I am missing with wire speed Vs. Temperature that is different with Flux Core.??

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 11:23 AM
Tech Team

i use flux core on thicker metal ,you just have to play around with the settings to see what works best,if welding sheetmetal i would recommend solid(thinner) wire with gas(keep from blowing holes in your work)
good-luck..

------------------
70camaroSS ground-up restification,350 slightly modified
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 12:24 PM
Tech Team

Flux cored wire needs more heat because it has to melt the non-metal ingrediants in the flux that act as alloying elements and degassers.The degassers are what allow you to weld in pretty windy conditions and still get a sound weld.The drawback is that they form a slag over the weld that can be a pain to remove.Solid wire gets it's gas protection from the bottle and since you only have to melt the wire you can get away with alot lower heat input.There is a specific wire available for bodywork that is more pliable and softer.This makes it easier to grind and work afterward.Also, on my Hobart welder I change the polarity when changing from one wire type to the other.Staight polarity for fluxed wire and reverse for solid.

------------------
74 Camaro
350,350 new paint
No money.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 03:45 PM
David Pozzi

You can have some air movement, like the amount a small fan would provide.
If there is more than that, you should shield the welding area with a welding blanket or something.
You can up the gas rate to help too.
I use 21 cfm setting normally, but up it for drafty places.

Flux core is not good for thin metal use, as the guys stated above.
You can go to CO2 shielding gas to save money. The mix is supposed to be better on thin stuff though.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

Hey Crash, what the name of the wire for body panel use that you talked about? I have an old hobart and sure would like to give it a try.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Chris,
Haynes makes a good book on welding titled: Haynes TECHBOOK WELDING MANUAL. It is great for beginners and also for those who know how to weld. It talks about all forms of welding, but has a good page or two on wire selection, and mentions a wire made by L-tec called Easy Grind. I haven't used it but have friends who swear by it for body work. I too tried using the flux core stuff first, just because of the initial expense of the C-25 bottle. But you usually do start with oysters and work your way to caviar. Man the gas is smooth, no spatter to grind, no slag to clean. That's strange that everyone tells you flux core is better, I've never met anybody that has preferred it unless they are welding a steel fence in the middle of a pasture in a 100mph wind! Take any measures possible to create a wind break and go gas.

------------------
Bing
1956 Chev 150 2dr sedan 302ci
1965 Chev Malibu 2dr hdtp 496ci
1967 Chev Camaro 327ci
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the tips everyone! , I went out and played around some more last night. Practicing and all. I did have to reverse the polarity on the welder when I switched to Gas and solid wire. but it is easier and nicer to weld with . no slag and slop. just the metal puddle and the wire. alot better. thanks everyone!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 11-22-2000).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech

Hi chris ,
noticed you were from baltimore . Ilive on the shore do you know of any camaro clubs/shows around here?

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech

Just a tip for the welders. After you have ground the metal to prepare for welding, go over the area with painter's metal prep just as you would before painting. Clean it off as per directions and regrind with a finer grit and then do your welding. You will be surprised at the quality of the weld no matter which wire you use. The other advice on shielding was right on the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode