air filter clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 00, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question

I have just installed a 396 into my 67 camaro & I have promblem with hood clearance with the open factory air cleaner (SS Hood). I used the factory big block frame mounts & stock style motor mounts. I am running a Elderbrock 600 cfm carb with a electric choke.I used a aftermark elederbrock air filter bottom (didn't want to ruin a orginal gm bottom) which I had to dimple to clear the electric choke & throttle linkage.I can't use the stock high air filter element can any one give a part # for one that is about 1/2 as high as the stock one. Has any one elese run into this promblem & what can I do to solve it? Thanks Johnny

------------------
johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech

Are you wanting to know of a diffent size filter element to use? What brand or style?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question

Mark what I need to know is the brand name & part # of a filter that is about 1/2 the hight of the factory filter

------------------
johnny

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Johnny,

Be very careful about using too short of a filter. Is your aftermarket base a drop-base style? If not, get one. I believe Edelbrock makes a base to clear the choke that is a drop-base style. You need as large and as tall a filter as you can fit under the hood. A stock filter height cut in half will probably kill the performance of your car. My car dropped from 11.50's to 12.20's when I reduced the filter height from 5"X14" to 3"X14" on a big-block. I can only imagine what would happen if you cut a stock-height filter in half. Get as tall as you can; use a drop-base style.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Smile

I have a edelbrock drop base 14" filter bottom still had to dimple it on the choke side & throttle side for clearance! The hood will not close with a stock 67 396 14" filter! so I fiquered that one about 2 to 2 1/2 inches would work & let me close the hood. The car will never be raced or hot rodded just slow & easy cruising.

------------------
johnny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech

Johnny; Take out the filter and put on the top and see how much filter gap you have with the top sitting on the bottom. I think anything under a 3 inch element will have the top right on the base. Time for a cowl type hood, or maybe a Q-jet carb or lower intake.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Smile

Anyone in eastern ky got a cowl hood for trade to a SS hood. You are right Tom with the filter that I'm running right now I've got 1/2 to 3/4 of inch of air space & that is why that I'm down on power. Thanks I hadn't though of that restricking my air flow so much

------------------
johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode