pistons? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 00, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
will

Question

hey guys i got a question for you. which would you choose between: forged or hypereutectic pistons? i am mostly likely gonna be running nitrous, or maaaybe a blower if my friend can get one for me. let me know what you think. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 00, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
will

oh yeh these would be goin into a 350 bored .030 over
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 00, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech

I don't think you can beat TRW/Federal Mogul forged pistons. Price is reasonable and the durablilty has been proven for about 30 years. Don't need special clearances or ring setups. Get a lot of opinions of this probably. That is mine.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 00, 06:40 PM

Wink

id stick with the forged pistons.
better quality.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 03:18 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Forged is much better if your running N2O,withstands the pressure and heat better.

------------------
My68CamaroThis CamaroNet - the Webring for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro site .

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 03:25 AM
Senior Tech

If you are going to get forged check out the JE/SRP pistons, I was going to put TRW in my engine at the time but for a little more I got the SRP. The machine shop had a set or TRW there and we compared the two brands, and the SRP were lighter and of better quality.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech

YEP Chevy,

I'll jump on the bandwagon and vote for FORGED myself. I run juice myself and haven't had any probs at all. You might also try running a STEEL top ring on your pistons. They hold up better to the pressure exerted on them when the juice is squeezed. I have seen rings collapsed due to the fact they couldn't hold up to the pressure.

An earlier attemp at running juice FAILED because I was told when I bought my car originally it had forged pistons. WRONG!! They were cast and one of them failed when the piston ring land cracked and this was with running only 150 shot.

Run an good electric pump at around 7 P.S.I. I would suggest a Holley BLUE pump if you can stand the noise or a Mallory.

I have TRW Forged pistons with @ 9.75 to 1 compression with Edelbrock aluminum heads. With this combination, I do NOT have to run retarded timing when the juice is squeezed.

I totally agree with MARKM. I would probably run the JE/SRP pistons if I had to do it over again just because I think their quality is a little better although you couldn't go wrong using either one.

If you are going to go the BLOWER route instead of nitrous, I would be more conservative on the compression ratio. I would keep it aroung 8.5 to 1 or lower.

Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-16-2000).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

For nitrous or supercharging, I'd run forged pistons. Hypereutectic (which I run) are great for a mild to moderate performance buildup, but aren't as strong as forged pistons AND MAYBE MORE IMPORTANTLY TEND TO BE TIGHTER IN THE BORE. You need less clearance than with a standard cast or forged piston, which is great for keeping the air-fuel mix compressed. On the other hand, it means ring gap is more critical and there's less of a blow-by "safety valve" for applications like very high compression, supercharging, and nitrous. Hope this helps. Steve Laabs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 09:32 PM
Tech Team

Cool

id go with the forged. trw's are a good piston but check out Je they are truly a quality piston. forged will definitly hold up better in a blower or n2o motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode