Were is the build sheet? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Question

Has anyone found a build sheet other then the bottom of the back seat of the car. Any other places?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 09:05 AM
BBS

Check the top of your gas tank.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 05:04 PM
Jeremiah

I might be wrong and someone please correct me if I am. I think the LA cars were the only ones who put them on top of the gas tank. Norwood was best know for putting them under the rear seat. They have been found just about anywhere you could possibly put one. Behind the headliner,stuffed under the dash,in the front seat backs and under the console ect. There was no real system to where they were placed. Some cars even got build sheets from other cars. But dont get your hopes up on finding one in your car, Most did not get them. I just gutted the intire interior out of my 34,000 original mile unrestored 69 Z/28 and no luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:25 PM

I had to get GM to send me a Vintage Build Sheet to prove that my car came with factory tinted glass after getting a ticket for it. I used it in court to show the cop I wasn't lying, and to avoid the fine I had gotten. I just called the GM toll free number, and spoke to a lady who got the VIN number etc. They sent one out to me at no charge.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe someone can clear up my confusion for me. I don't understand how buildsheets could have been stuffed in such various places of the car. Did the buildsheet not travel with the car down the assembly line to tell the workers what options to install on the car? If this was the case (which seems to me like it would be), how would a buildsheet end up on top of the gas tank when the interior (options such as console, etc) would have been installed later. Same argument for optional wheels/tires, pinstriping, etc. I can't see them dropping the gas tank to stuff the buildsheet above it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Tidbit of info here: I was working on a friend's 1984 Buick Regal and found the buildsheet stuffed under the hood insulation directly behind the hood latch.
------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 03-27-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 07:48 PM
Jeremiah

Justin mayebee thats a good question for a new topic. Fact is that those are all places where buildsheets have been found. I do bodywork for a living. I can say for a fact that G.M still places the buildsheets on the fuel tanks of some cars. Just last week I replaced the rear bumper cover on a new Vette. The buildsheet was under the strap on top of the right side of the fuel tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Build sheets did travel down the line with the car, but they were also available at the various locations along the lines so that people stationed there would know what parts were to be installed. These are the ones people sometimes find in the car. The interim ones were suppossed to be tossed in the trash but sometimes they slipped behind a seat, or got left on the floor and the rug got installed over it.

They were never purposely left in the car. The only reason they show up on some LA cars is because they were taped to the top of the gas tank. It was easy to forget to remove it before the tank was set in place.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode