700r4 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

In my 68 camaro will I be able to bolt this right up. Is there any tricks I need to know about. Its out of an 88chev truck and I currently have a power glide with coloum shift. I will be putting a b&m shifter in it. Also if someone knows the shortest b&m could you let me know (from floor to top of shifter).
Thanks
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

You will need to have your driveshaft cut down, the 700 is longer than the glide. No major clearance problems with mine.

The trans mount is also farther back, I fabbed a new crosmember using the ends of the original one and some square tubing.

Make sure you get the proper brackets for the TV cable. The TV cable regulates the tranny line pressure, improper brackets will burn up the unit.

If you are using the stock lock-up converter make sure it is going into lock-up. Running the stock converter without the lock-up for an extended period of time will damage the converter, which will also damage the trans. I have an Art Carr 2200rpm lock-up stall in mine.

I used the stock powerglide shifter in my 67. I used the shiftworks conversion kit.

You'll love the overdrive. Good luck,
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 05:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I just put one in my 69. Had the same issues that squarles mentioned but also had a problem with the flex plate. I had a 1/2 inch gap between the torque converter and the flex plate with the converter pushed all the way back towards the trans. There should have only been 3/16. Like a dummy I ignored the problem and continued the installation. Once running the flex plate would touch the starter housing when you gave it some gas. It would also hit when you decelerated in 1st gear. Also I did not realize that it had a chance of disengaging from the trans pump. Thankfully I only made a short trip around the block else I may had done some real damage. After talking with the trans guy he convinced me that the flex plate was bad. He said that they would dish towards the engine. I went and got a new one ($40.00) and solved the problem. What a pain. Went through all that labor again for $40.00. I should also mention that the flex plate did not appear to be dished nor was there a problem with the Powerglide installed. Spend the bucks, get a new flex plate.

rojo

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech

Hi Shane,

Stephen makes good points, and may I stress the lock up. The danage that you get with no lockup, is in the rear planitaries of the trans the oil goes through to them until 4TH gear and then they must get oil through lock up.

I will also stress the detent cable it MUST be connected and adjusted right. If you are running a Holley the length of the arm from the throttle shaft is not correct.

There is a cross member from GM that will work. You will need to notch it on the pass side to clear the 700 pan. The # is 3912573. Then get a tail housing for a Caprice, the mount is on it. Then you will need to add about 1 inch to the mount pad, and drill two new holes.

When all is said and done it looks factory.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode