Black Grills on '69's - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Question

I've been told that the only cars with black grills in '69 were SS's and all RS's. Is this true? It seems like you see a lot of cars with black grills out there. Also, in 1968 were all the RS front ends supposed to have that chrome look on the ridges of the horizontal bars? Thanks for the info ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 01:59 PM
Tech Team

All '69s had silver grilles except for SS and RS, if an RS was originally black it would have a silver grille. That's a good question about the '68 RS grille in some photos the bars do seem chrome although mine are black, anyone?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Talking

Mine are black too. So when is a '69 RS grill silver? Thanks for the reply! John

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
A '69 RS grill would be silver if on a black car. Here is a picture of an original black RS/Z..... http://www.mindspring.com/~mccorry/BLACKZ28fv.jpg

I believe that the correct '68 RS grill does have chrome striping on the horizontal "bars".

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 11/7/00)

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 11-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 11-20-2000).]
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Talking

Thanks Steve. That is a beautiful Z. I'm gettin' the idea now. Does the chrome on the bars on a '68 wear off over the years or should I assume my grill has been replaced? I am pretty sure that my car is a real RS. (Not much else is real but I'm sure the RS option is)Thanks again ~ John
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 07:12 AM
Banned

Smile

'67 RS had black egg-crate, '68 RS had same egg-crate except with silver/chrome highlights and '69 big egg-crate silver/chrome. pdq67

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I understood SSes had black grills EXCEPT dark exteriors, ie. Black, Dark Green, etc. in which case the grill would be silver. I don't know, but it would stand to reason, that these would be the same exterior colors that exclude the black rocker panels in the Z21 style trim group. A quick check with "correctness" afficianados over at camaros.org would get you a definite answer.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Talking

Thanks for the info. You're right that does make sense because the RS's had a simular rule. Any ideas if ALL '68's had the chrome accents? Thanks again guys ~ John
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 11:16 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I think MY396 was closest for being correct at least for 69. I can't remember where I saw it but what I saw(or heard) was: If the car is an SS it would have a black grill. If it was a dark color it would still have a black grill. Now for RS the would have a black grill unless it was a dark color then the grill would be silver. That is unless it was an SS/RS then the SS would overide the RS(just like emblems) and the grill would be black. My car is originally Tuxedo black and has the original black grill. Okay to further complicate things if the car was a Z28/RS in a dark color it would have a silver grill since it is not an SS but a Z28. I of course don't have documentation to back this up but most cars I have seen follow this pattern and not the the dark color silver grill pattern( in regards to the SS, SS/RS vs std, Z28, Z28RS.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
John

For 69 anyway, I've always heard that only the SS got a black grill. If you think about it, all SS's in the Chevy line received some sort of "blackout" treatment. Weather it be Novas, Chevelles, Caminos etc. Camaros are no different. The only SS receiving a silver grill that I've seen documented is the SS RS with black exterior. I'm curious what a black SS with std grill would have received. I've never heard or seen examples of the interior playing a roll in the color of the grill (std or RS). This is a total CRG question I'm thinking...
My .02 cents,
John

------------------
69 Z/28
www.camarogenerations.com
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I went over to CRG, and their reply was that ALL SSes with standard grill were black EXCEPT cars that were painted Black ONLY. No other paint colors affected grill color. I didn't get into RS 'cuz that sounds like a whole can o' worms I won't even pretend to know anything about.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
William

John: In 1968 Hi-Perf Cars magazine tried to order a 69 L78 SS in triple black w/o stripes as a project car. They wrote an editorial on how Chevy refused to do it. They settled for the car with stripes; they took them off. In the as-delivered photos the car has a silver standard grille, white stripes and an endura. The car received plenty of coverage; they used photos of it for years. FAIK only black received a silver grille. Also, OE 67 & 68 RS grilles aren't exactly the same. 67s used a true egg-crate; on 68s the horizontal bars were raised slightly for the iron-on chrome. Headlight doors also.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Talking

WOW! Thanks for all the outstanding replys. Thanks For checking with the CRG too. So if the bars on my '68 aren't raised, then I can assume that it is a replacement grill and a '67 at that? Hmmm. Thanks very much! ~ John
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech

Red face

William, pardon my ignorance...but what does "FAIK" stand for?

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 00, 04:13 AM
Banned

Wink

Thanks, POP,

I was just about to ask!! pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode