Factory sunroof in a Camaro?? I'd never heard of this! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

http://forums.chevytalk.com/forums/F...ML/000064.html

What do you guys think? I wonder how many were made and how many have made their way to the US?

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NEMESS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 02:02 PM

I found it very interesting and would like to learn more!

------------------
70 z/28 4sp,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes,2000 v8 Grand cherokee.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 03:09 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Here is the thread from the last tome it came up on this site... https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/000454.html

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 03:38 PM

Smile

Me thinks we are right. There weren't any American first gen's made with sun roofs.

Hows a body ta know they were produced although only put together in Europe with a sun roof option. Hope nobody got offended over at that site due to American ignorance. GM musta really been proud off them not ta let us in on the story, uh. IMHO!! pdq67

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 03:41 PM

Smile

Back again with a strange one that might be along these lines of a european made car here in the states.

Saw an ad for an Opel GT convert. recently. Didn't know they made such a beast?? pdq67

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

I saw such a car, it was in the for sale area at Gainesville Super Chevy last year. It was a '67 RS/SS B/B car, with a factory sunroof. The cowl tag had an export # on it, and stated, G.M. of France. It was unusual to say the least. it was the first one I had ever seen. Kinda compared to those Novas with the sliding sunroof option, odd looking.

------------------
Many Used Parts for Chevelles, and Camaros- Just ask!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 11:11 AM

This car is now for sale at the Volo Museum in Chicago. I believe it is ~ $19K.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 11:49 AM
Tech Team

Fascinating...

------------------
67 RS Convertible, 327/210hp
Granada Gold, deluxe interior (black), 4spd. all stock
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech

man that brings back memories (i posted the car for sale on ebay here over a year ago)

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

You're not kidding Mike, I posted the return link over there at Chevytalk becuase I remembered the the discussiont that Kurt and the guys had over here back then. This is one aspect of the first gen's that many people dispute. I would really like to know the truth. I wonder how we could find it out ... hummmmmmmmmmm

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
My Father's 1968 RS 327!
My First Generation Camaro site
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 10:25 AM

I don't know if any of you are thinking of doing a conversion once u get the info, ill tell ya its probably not worth it on a classic camaro. I have an '89 Bonneville SSE, well actually its an LE, and i bought a totalled SSE, and totally rewirec mine, swaped entire interiors and all the options and body panels. But anyways, then it had all the options i wanted accept the full power sunroof. So i picked up a factory sunroof unit for like $50, and set out to install it. I did a lot of homework and was very meticulous and carefull about doing this, but i got it done and it basically works, but it does leak a bit, although not into the car it all drains like it is supposed to. But the main problem is that the roof is messed up now, its not bad by any means, but u can deffinately tell. Anyways i don't know if anyone is gonna try it even, but just thought this might help if anyone is gonna try it. My uncle who is a body man was just recently visiting, and he said it actually looked damned good, so im not dissapointed with it at all, i just would not try it on my classic camaro.

'69 Z28/RS
'89 Bonneville SSE
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 02:11 PM
Tech Team

Smile

I have one of these cars that was assembled in Belgium, minus the sunroof. I bought this car because of how unique it is. NO one else has one. I'm not near done restoring mine. I don't know much else about these cars, as Kurt S. has previously stated, no one knows that much about these cars.

I bought an original K/M speedo last summer from a guy in Sweden. Luckily, he had a speedo. laying around from a car he dismantled 15 years ago. He told me that most of the cars that came from the Antwerp, Belgium plant were highly optioned cars (SS, RS, etc.) He asked if mine had a sunroof, and if it had the original engine. He told me a lot of the camaros came out of the plant with 283's. Keep in mind, this is what he said, not something that was actually documented. He owns a '67 RS convertible from the plant w/ power windows and disc brakes.

My car is a '68 SS small block car, originally white on the outside. Black Deluxe interior with fold down rear seat, tach/gauges, power brakes, rear window defroster, remote mirror (missing), and the "flash to pass" option. The seat belts are very different from my other '68.

I've given my info. to Kurt S. and he told me he only has a few in his database.

I doubted that these cars existed, as does most everyone else, but they are alive and well. I know mine was bought new in Germany and shipped back to the states in the early seventies. I know that this is true because of the amount of German money I've found under the carpet, as well as the dates on the coins. 1972 was the latest.Unfortunately, I don't have any documentation to back this up, just a story.

[This message has been edited by BelgianSS (edited 01-23-2001).]
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 06:52 PM

Re: Factory sunroof in a Camaro?? I'd never heard of this!

Oh Yes
They really do exist ....

Ive owned mine since 1976 , purchased it in England at that time I was a younger person and required my Father to register it
The Camaro was first registered in Belgium in March '67 and remained there until a month or so prior to our purchase
We visited many shows in the UK thoughout the 80s and I imported the car to the US when I relocated in 1999

As best as I can determine, the body was sent as assembled SKD kit
and there the body was offered upto the running gear etc
Due to the 'non high volume' probably almost hand assembled in one of the GM Antwerpen ( GM Continental SA ) assembly halls that for the most part was specific to its native Opel product.

Typically Antwerpen Camaros had unusual features that generally dont jive with the regular US format
Most of the Belgium cars ( and that figure is approx 6 - 7 that I have seen in last 35 years ) have L6 250 or 327
Not sure if these are 'export' engines though
Fold down rear seats, deluxe interiors and often manual steering but
power disc brakes seams to have been the norm with rally wheels
I have 14 x 6 rallys and still have the original 7.35 x 14 made in Belgium Uniroyal , displaying the European method of cross lining the
digit 7.......this is really unusual on a tyre

Oh , also 200 speedo ( calibrated - but not stated in KPH )

Not all , but some were equipped with the 'factory sunroof' this was of a manual - non electric operation

My own has the sunroof ,
I have seen another 2 cars with the exact same roof , which in general terms is pretty large in comparison with the flat area of the roof.
I have also seen retro roofs on early Camaros and the Paris Auto show car certainly had a different type of sunroof.
The Paris car may actually have been completely built in the US and adapted to French regs ...... really not sure - this was in the Volo museum some 4 years ago

My Camaro Does Not have any vynle roof covering to mask a conversion or retro package, in fact the roof is ultra straight and a metallic !
I took the car down in the early eighties and could see evidence from paint that the sunrooof system was installed in the factory ahead of any paint application. well that was 25 years ago and I will plan on doing the same thing again in the future and will have someone appraise the car as it gets dissassembled to veryfy what I am stating here.

I am not too sure on colours available, I have seen a cream and a dark green ( I think darker than Forest Green )
My Camaro is metallc Silver from the get go , the firewall painted at the same time as exterior and silver all the way down to the floor pan seam.
The trunk has never seen any spatter paint and is finished the same colour but a more lighter color mist .

I provided pretty well the same details to Kurt S some 5 years ago
I also drove my car to the North East Camaro Nats in NH in 2000 where it was very well received

Probably the most famous 'sunroof; was the white car that was urchase new in Germany by a member of the USAF , this has spot lights and a black vynel roof , featured in Super Chevy in circe 1987 and I understand went through an auction in FL in the late 90s

Hope this provides some light on this interesting subject

All the best
Robin
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 11:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Re: Factory sunroof in a Camaro?? I'd never heard of this!

Robin, that was a great first post! What a fascinating subject. Any chance of seeing photos of this car of yours, particularly the sunroof and tires? I also felt the posting from BelgianSS was right on, but he's saying the V8 cars were mostly 283ci whereas you're saying 327ci--personally, I'd have to agree with the 283ci figure from the few samples available.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 01:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Cool Re: Factory sunroof in a Camaro?? I'd never heard of this!

I have a 200 KMPH speedo from a 1967 Camaro given to me by a Dutch friend who had brought his cars to Australia, then took them back to Holland when he returned to his home country. We have KMPH now and I intend to use the speedo in my 67 Rag. All good things to add to the collection!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode