69 A/C-heater controlls - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 00, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well, i decided to go with the vintage air for my 69. before i buy the setup i wanted to make sure all my dash parts were in working order. my old a/c controlls are very stiff to move. i dont know if the little arms that controlls the cables are broken or not, i havent taken it out yet to see. i went to a swapmeet and i picked up a heater controll for a 69 but after i got home and took a good look at it, it wasnt for an a.c car! so i was wondering if i could tear that one apart and fix my broken a/c controlls. or do i even need to use the stock controlls for the vintage air system? and another thing, did all of you guys reuse your old cables? or can you but new ones someplace? and if i cant use the parts from the controlls i just picked up, i guess ill just off it on e-bay. thanks guys

justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

The Vintage Air unit can work with EITHER the OEM Heater switch WITHOUT AC or the one that has the AC switch. My car did not have factory air, so my heater switch NEVER had the AC controls on it. The Vintage air switch uses the far left switch lever to control fan speed (low, medium. fast). It uses the far right switch lever to control the temperature, The middle switch lever is not used at all. When you order the Vintage Air unit, they ask you if you car ever had factory air. They will send you the right kit to work with whatever switch you have. My suggestion would be to use the HEATER CONTROL switch instead of the HEATER/AC switch because they are much easier to find as you are no doubt aware.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks man! i didnt think anyone was going to get back to me on that one.
justin

------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

No prob., Justin, you would be surprized by what we all know here collectively!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 06:25 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Thumbs up

Justin,
The AC controls on my 69 were frozen also. I took the unit out of the dash and sprayed the lever chanels with white lithium grease. After working the grease in by moving the selectors, she was good to go again. Maybe you can try this to save you some time and money. I know I was about to throw my assembly away before I just cleaned it up. Hope this helps you out!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

thanks again, when my dad and i have another day off its the next thing on the list. i hope i can keep my a/c unit i have in there right now, if not the non-a/c unit i have has a nice face on it. any how ill tell you all how it goes when i tear in to my dash. another thing. does the vintage a/c kit come with new cables that attach to the levers or do you have to use the ones installed on the car. i think i might have a broken one. thanks again

justin

------------------
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

You have to use the old cables. They do not provide them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode