68 or 69? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Jon

Talking

I am planning on buying a new project to restore i have two choices a 69 camaro with a 350 a/c and its column shift or a 68 with a 327 standard interior for the same price at $3500 each which should i get? both have an excellent interior. In desperate need for other opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech

In my humbled opinion, if all things else are equal, I'd go with the 69, not just because I own one, but because they are the most popular, and therefore a little more valuable. It also depends on how the car was optioned, ie....A/C, disk brakes, power brakes, power steering, etc.......You might also want to look at the trim tags (among other things), to determine authenticity. A completely original, highly optioned 68' would be worth more than a base model 69. Also make sure and look closely for rust, that should also be a determining factor. A little rust goes a long way in devaluing a car........KZ
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech

Go for the 68 every one and thier brother has a 69
Rob.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

Go for the one that needs less body and paint work. I really prefer the smaller look of the 67's and 68's to the heavier look of the 69's, but I'm in the minority. Steve Laabs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech

I opted for the '69 for a few reasons:

1. One-year-only body style (how many cars are like that?)
2. 3" wider than 67-68
3. Only first gen with the factory cowl hood

But like anything else, it's your choice.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Go with the car that is closest to the condition that you would be happy to drive. Restoration costs will quickly exceed resale on either model years. The options of each car should be weighed out in importance to you. Both years are very popular with the 69 being a little more desirable to most. My opinion is the 68 is the best out of all three 1st gens for the following reasons: great looking classic dash, smaller looking body, & better looking hideaways on the RS models. Hope I didn't open a big ol' can of worms though...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 10:46 AM
Tech Team

Jon,
You're going to get a zillion different opinions on whether the 69 is better than the 68, or which is more valuable.
Go with the one that's in the best shape structurally and has the most options. And above all, buy the body style that YOU like best. In the end, you're the one that has to drive it and spend his hard-earned cash on it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I think everyone gave you the best answer: go for the car that is in the best condition.

I would even go so far as to say put condition over the choice in body styles (unless the color combination on one of the cars is really bad). When I bought my car, for all I cared, it could have been a 1969 Mustang. The reason I bought it was that it was a classic in relatively good condition and was useable as a daily driver. I drove mine every day for 3 years before I bought my first new car.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech

"3" wider than 67-68" Is this true - a 69 is wider than a 67/8?

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

For what it's worth, The "Camaro White Book" shows width dimensions:'67 72.5", '68 72.6" and '69 74.0"

As for your choice of car...as they said...YOUR CHOICE. If you're relatively new to the hobby, the car with the least work in ALL aspects is going to keep your frustration level down and build your confidence for upgrading this one or moving on to the next.

For the record, I was looking for a '68 convertible when I bought my '69 convertible. Just a preference for the "rounder" look. Either one's great. Both have lots of parts available as NOS, used, & repro with LOTS of interchangability with other GM models. 'Tain't zactly like rebuildin' a HUDSON or sumpin'!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 03:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wink

Hey northern friend, one of those worms out of that can crawled up my arm. I agree with you that the 68 has nice features with the dash, smaller body, & hideaway lights. But all those features are identical on the 67 as well. Sorry, just had to defend my six seven. Have a nice day.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

I got to defend the 68 over the 67. I like that the 68 has no vent window and I don't like the 67 back-up lights. I do like the fact that 67's don't have side marker lights, so it's pretty much a toss up, all first gen camaros are great cars.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i've owned both 69's and 68's. i love them all. they both have great features. but like others said, go for the one that is in the best shape and will need the least work.
later,
bruce
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech

I was looking at a 69 and a 68 convert. I've had a 69 in the past, and i love the way the nose looks; but I since have fallen in love with the polished stainless on the doors of the 68. The 68 turned out to be the better one, although it looked rougher at first. I even found all the power top stuff behind the seat, the more i looked, the better i saw
john
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

Buy both of them. Then later on you wont be, " damit I should of got the other one"!!!

------------------
67 GM 4x4 stepside
67 GMC 4x4 3/4 ton
72 GMC short
69 Z/28
68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode