Baldwin Motion '69 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm thinking about adding the Baldwin Motion stinger hood and paint scheme to my '69 SS. I want to be a little different than every other Camaro that you see on the road. So far, the few photos that I have seen look very different from each other (some with stock side stripes and a single stripe down the middle, some with a wing, some with the stripe around the rear, some with side pipes, etc.) Were there alot of different combinations? Anyone know where I can get more info and pictures? I've tried baldwinmotion.com and the site is down. Also has anyone seen the fiberglass stinger hood in person? What was the finish quality like? Did they all come with 427's or were some 454's? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I am not planning on faking an original or trying to deceive anyone. I just want something different. I am thinking of stock color Azure turquoise with black hockey stripe on side and single black stripe down the center starting at the stinger point. Old style Torque Thrusts, chrome side pipes and stock rear spoiler. What do you'all think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 04:59 PM
Tech Team
Rob G

this question may be better over at the yenko supercar board, they would know more about the hood and paint. http://www.yenko.net and click on the forum board link on the left near top

Rob
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Thanks for the link, Buddy!

As far as the Motion cars, about anything was possible. The cars came in about every combo imaginable, both exterior and drivetrain wise. I think your car would look good with the mods you are thinking of.

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Numerous Yenkos
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech

JM69SS,

Motion was perhaps the most unique of any of the aftermarket super car companies. They basically let you specify any options, wings, hood styles, paint schemes, etc. Joel Rosen stated as much in a response to question I asked of him on a another bullentin board. Typically the cars were more highly modified than their Yenko or Copo cousins. As a matter of fact, the Motion cars were considered the baddest of the BAD and Joel Rosen took alot of pride in this.

Of particular interest was the fact that Baldwin Motion GUARANTEED their cars to run 11.50's at 120 MPH. If you couldn't get it to do the guaranteed time, my understanding was that Baldwin would send a driver out to run you car on the strip and if it still didn't do the time, they would work on it until it did. WOW!!!

Basically then, a Motion car was as unique as the individual that ordered one. It was more or less like Burger King, "You could have it your way!" AWESOME cars, just AWESOME!!!

Check this link for more specific Baldwin Motion info:
http://www.yenko.net/motion.htm

By the way, GRHEATLY (another TECH member here as you are probably aware) is currently doing his car in a Baldwin Motion theme and he has mentioned the quality of the Baldwin Motion Stinger hood is excellent. I'll email him and ask him to share some more info with you here.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-18-2000).]
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech

where do you get he hood? i was gonna go with an outlaw z hood, i just wanted something ddifferent too. thanks guys

justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 12:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

The nice thing about the Motion cars was that you can get almost anything you wanted. Some of the 69 Camaros had the 67 Corvette stinger style hood and some had the L88 style hood and some used the stock hood. Some had no stripes some had stock Chevy stripes and some had a wide center stripe down the hood and around the back of the car. The engines went from a 302 to a 454 in the 69 Motion Camaro. Some cars had the SS427 emblems from the 68 Impala installed. They are restoring a Daytona Yellow 454 69 Motion Camaro on Speedvision's Fantasy Garage TV show. Here is a web site with a lot of cool fiberglass parts including the Motion hoods. http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

jim69ss,

It is my understanding that the stinger hood was not used in 1969. B-M switched to the L-88 hood for that model year. In my research on the paint scheme, I never saw a 69 with a stinger hood.

I bought the L-88 hood for my car. Motion Performance still makes this hood using the same mold they used in 1969. The quality is very good. My only complaint would be the rough finish of the underside. They advertise in Hot Rod and Super Chevy, so you can get their phone number there.

I have seen multiple B-M paint schemes as well. All I have seen retained the SS "hockey stick" side stripes. The single center stripe seems to be the most common, but there were variations as to where the stripe ended on the front of the car.

I am painting my car using the "Phase III" paint scheme. I understand this scheme was used on cars with the most powerful engine option. In this scheme, the rear of the car is painted white (or black). I am trying to decide between my original color, Hugger Orange, or changing to Rallye Green. I haven't decided how to piant the center stripe on the front of the car yet, but am leaning towards the stripe ending in the fold of the L-88 scoop.

I will also be buying the Motion rear wing to complete the look (hey, everybody has a spoiler!). I understand the wing was only installed on "Phase III" cars.

I have also found a reproduction of the 67-69 Corvette big block side pipes B-M installed as an option on some cars. They run about $1,000 for a set. BTW, if anyone knows how they tied the header collectors to the inlet of the side pipes let me know. I'm having a hard time visualizing how this was done on a Camaro without impacting performance (or maybe it did and no one cared).

Don't laugh, but one place to get info is from the B-M models Ertl has recently produced. Each Ertl model is patterned after a real B-M car. For example, the Rallye Green Ertl model is patterned after the Otis Chandler car. The only major problem I saw with these is that they included engine size call-outs on the front fenders and hood. None of the real cars I have seen pictures of had engine size call-outs. Check out my website. I have pictures of the blue Ertl model there.

Like you, I am NOT attempting to build a clone. First, my car is a small block. B-M never built a 1969 small block Camaro. Second, my car is NOT an SS and I will NOT be adding SS emblems. I will be painting the SS hockey stripes, but will use bow tie emblems on the tail and grill.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

Motion did use the stinger hood on at least one 1969 Camaro because I have a magazine with original pictures (from 69) of a black 1969 427 Motion Camaro. The guy ordered it as a 396/375 with black vinyl top, amfm, PS, TH400, Endura front bumper, 4:10 rear, power windows, and black interior. Then had Motion put in a 427/425 L72 ( he didn't want the Phase III motor) welded on traction bars, headers, wood steering wheel, gages, Keystone kustom mags, SS427 emblems, and the stinger hood with a hood tach.
I believe Motion also did small block cars in 69. One of the web sites had original pictures of a 69 Motion Z/28. The guy bought the car from Baldwin Chevrolet and Motion put headers and some other parts on it. It was not a Phase III car but it was still built by Motion. If the parts were available, Motion built what the customer wanted.

[This message has been edited by JOE58 (edited 07-18-2000).]
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 11:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Smile

jm69ss

I think you are making the right choice on the color!!

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently on the rotisserie
1972 Chevelle SS Conv LS3
1984 Z28 w/ZZ4 conversion
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Gheatly, go with the Rallye Green with white stripes - great looking combo. Hey, if you want something different then why paint it Hugger Orange like everyone else these days (quickly replacing red as my least favorite color for a 1st gen). Not trying to insult anyone, just my personal preference. I tend to rebel against anything that gets overused.

Jonesy, I've been to alot of shows and have only seen one Azure Turquoise '69. White Z stripes and white vinyl top/interior. Sweet is the only word to describe her. She turned heads and got alot of attention. Had to be the color combo 'cuz nothing else about the car was special.

One more question, 427's are commanding big bucks (if you can find one). Seems like I read somewhere that you could build one using a more common block? Anyone know the specifiecs? The older I get, the less I remember!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

jm69ss - exactly what my paint guy said!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 08:50 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

jm69ss(quote)
One more question, 427's are commanding big bucks (if you can find one). Seems like I read somewhere that you could build one using a more common block?

Since the 427 shares the same bore as a 454 (4.25") changing the crank to 3.76 stroke instead of the 4.00 would give you a 427. I did a quick look and found crower still makes 427 cranks but they ain't cheap $1600+ I am sure if you look around you can find a good used one. I bought one last year for a Chevelle project for $250 in good shape turned .010/.010. Good Luck. Geez and I thought I was gonna be a different by using the B-M paint scheme on my 69. Guess I'll have to add the new ZL-1 block also (roller motor of course )....

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 07-19-2000).]
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Here is a picture of John Gamache's '69 B-M Camaro with the Stinger hood: http://www.yenko.net/bm69cam.jpg

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Numerous Yenkos
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

[This message has been edited by Chevy454 (edited 07-19-2000).]
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 09:38 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
jm69SS,
I've seen a "kit" from PAW? for a 427, its a ?destroked 454? i think.if i remember its the complete rotating assembly.forget the price.good luck.

------------------
My68CamaroThis CamaroNet - the Webring for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro site .

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 10:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

about the sidepipes- There were special headers designed just for sidepipe applications where the header collector was curved toward the back of the front wheel. The sidepipe was then bolted to the collector. I don't know if anyone makes that type of header anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode