Sub Frame offset - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

I have a 69 that was stuffed with hopped up 396 and TH 400. It has 1 3/4" long tube headers (not block huggers). It appears that
the subframe was offset to the passenger side byabout 1/2" to provide header clearance for the srteering box. I would like to recenter the subframe. Has anyone else encountered this and is it a straightforward process? The body and frame show no signs of damage; it appears to be intentional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

Simply use a tape measure. Measure from a point on the subframe to the sheetmetal lip below the rocker panels. Just make sure your measurments are square. I had to do this when i installed my subframe to get it centered. For anything like this the general rule is to find a good permanent referance point to measure from.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Thanks for the quick reply. I just bought the car and have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I have been out of hot rods for 20+ years.
To move the subframe all I have to do is loosen the attachment bolts and slide the frame over?
Of couse I will have to change the headers, first.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
John

I may have the wrong mental picture of this, which wouldn't surprize me, but the steering box on a '69 is mounted inside the frame and moving the whole subframe one way or the other would not effect engine or header clearance. Right????

John
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

After reading your note, I went back to the garage to look and measure. You are right. The steering box moves with the sub-frame. I guess I'll have to figure out something different.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

John,

I thought I had the corner on the market for bad mental pictures!

You are correct on the subframe-header issue. Changing the alingment will not correct a steering box interference issue.

The Body By Fisher chassis manual has dimensions and gauge points for installing your subframe.

You may want to perform a search in the suspension section. There is a lot of good information there.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on the easiest way to slide the frame over? I am planning on doing it my garage with the body supported on jackstands.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

Speaking of mental, If you move the subframe over, you are creating another problem caled alignment. Big blocks are installed in Fbodies all the time without such drastic measures, things such as correct frame mounts, motor mounts and crossmember will go a long way in getting everything lined up properly. You may even have the wrong header for you application. btw the subframe alingments holes are below the firewall, outboard of the bushings,and you can insert a .610 (thanks John Z ) rod in them to check if everything is lined up.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

Sliding the subframe could also change how all of the sheetmetal on the front is aligned. If you don't have an assembly manual, get one.

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://members.xoom.com/robr54
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 02:49 PM

Smile

It seems like alota the cars are off both front and rear, stock too. I know mine's off some.

Do a search on this because we beat it up awhile back. pdq67

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I need to do a bit more research before I dive in and do something stupid.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 01:43 AM

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but big block frame mounts are offset to the right to make clearences for the motor. Please measure the subframe completely before doing anything. If it measures straight, maybe you have a mount problem. Has the car ever be hit?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

If you'll read the assembly manual, you insert a .610 pin in the gaugeing holes into the sub frame, and that is supposed to get you in the ball park for sub frame alignment instead of guessing and haveing to use a tape measure.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 10:43 AM
David Pozzi

Your big block is supposed to be offset to the passenger side, or else it would hit your steering box.
Look at the big block fan shroud, it is made offset to allow for the engine being off center.
Take your time and learn more about your "new" car here. There are no "stupid" questions here!
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Joe G, I'll be in martinez next week. I could stop by and take a look see with ya if you want. It's just getting over that bridge at 6:00 that's tough. LOL

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode