Aluminum fenders??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was thinking about weight reduction today. Many people argue against using fiberglass fenders on the street b/c they are rather fragile and can crack. Does anyone make aluminum replacement fenders? They would be more durable and still offer a signifigant weight reduction over steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I have a friend who told me about someone who was reproducing Camaro body parts in aluminum. I don't remember any details, it's been a few years sence he mentioned it. I'll see what I can find out.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 01:04 PM

Lightbulb

sign me up for a set !!

------------------
67 RS 327 deluxe tach gauges , with 1967 Virginia plates 759-898

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

anyone have any new info on this?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i wanted to do this, but after talking to some people, i decided not too. they told me that if you plan on driving it a lot on the street, the stones will hit against the panels and dent them up. so my second plan was to use a light gauge sheet metal and paint the black or the body color, whcih would hold up a little better. i took a big piece of cardboard and laid out a pattern, with all the cuts, and the angles, and was getting ready to go get the metal, and for some stupid reason, i decided to put back the factory inner fenders. i was having problems deciding how to mount the panels, to the fenders, and also be able to remove them, if needed. i wanted to use dzus clips, but it started to be too much, so i scrapped the idea.
if you have access to a shear, and brake, and bead roller, you can do a nice job.
good luck,
bruce
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Unlimited Products makes fiberglas fenders and for those of you not wanting "stars" on the top of fenders, they also sale f'glas inner fenders. The sheet alum trick Bruce mention is good idea, also another one is to either glue styrofoam board on the inside, or fill with "Great Stuff", then after it dries, trim and paint.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I just found out that the person who told me about the aluminum body parts is also on this sight. Do a search for Tim Meredith.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 02:44 AM

What are you doing on this site you. This guy has one of the nices 69RS Prosreet I have seen it is super clean and he drives it everywere. And yes you can get allum. front finders but they are very expensive. Like about $5000.00 a side the guys that do the 409 stuff can do it. But geting them to do it is very very tuff.GM made them for a very short time have seen one set you could buy a nice car for what the guy whated for them. Also they bend very ez. Hope this will help.
Acid dip is a cheep way of doing what you whont to do there is a lot of places that do that.

69RS Z/28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode