Re:Frame bushings? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 99, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting ready to install my 67 front frame clip and need some advice on the type of bushings to use. I've seen the newer poly type but I heard that after awhile they start to squeek. Is this true and should I just stick with the EOM bushings. Thanks, Buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 99, 03:42 AM

Buddy - I have used the polygraphite bushings on my 65 Malibu and my parents 68 Camaro, and I haven't had any problems with squeaking. A lot of people I know and a lot of the folks on the Chevelle board really like the PST polygraphite for that very reason - they don't squeak as bad as rubber and they aren't as hard as polyurethane. After doing my Chevelle (convertible - 12 body bushings), my parents Camaro was a dream. Whatever you decide to put in, use the grease and that will help prevent squeaking. Good luck! - Jeff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 99, 04:06 PM
Tech Team

I have also used the PST bushings on a couple cars and have had no squeaking problems! It is the best kit out there for the money and I highly recommend it!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 99, 07:26 PM
Tech Team

BUDDY, I USED POLYGRAPHITE ON MY 67'RS FOR FIRMNESS AND SO I WOULD NEVER HAVE TO REPLACE THEM AGAIN. TWO YEARS NO SQUEEKS.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 99, 12:31 PM
Tech Team

I go a little further.both on my own and my customers cars.I make solid pucks of steel or aluminium on a lathe.Donīt squeek either.Not as rough a ride as people in general like to think.Quite livable.

Donīt forget to change the subframe bolts.Those are highly stresses pieces!!

------------------
DVC-98.Racing
482 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 99, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the polygraphites then. It really helps to have someone to talk to that has been there-done that! I thank Camaros.net also. This is a great site and I will be a regular here. I'm thinking of droping in a 454 in the little beast, so if anyone has some foresite on this feel free to chime in. Thanks much! Buddy Wommack,(Ringmaster)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 99, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

You'll need to change the heater box under the hood if you want heat. The SB heater core outlets hit the head on the pass. side. If you change to the BB style heater box you'll need to change the core also. You will also need to change the engine mount towers on the subframe, as the BB ones are shorter and offset the engine to the right a bit. From what I gather, some headers are a real tight fit around the steering gearbox also.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 99, 01:05 PM

Dave raises a good point about the headers. The last set I had on my 69 (before I went back to the stock system) passed a little to close to the steel brake line. I made a shim block that raised the engine about a quarter to a half inch to keep the distance. Raising the engine caused no other problems.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 99, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I dont agree with Jeff.
Rubber bushings that squeek?? I reinstalled rubber bushings on my 69 Camaro and haven't had a problem. However my friend put poly on his 69 Chevelles front end (not body bushings) and it squeaked after a few months to the point he changed back to rubber. I guess you can argue this back and forth till you are blue in the face, but my opinion is to use OEM rubber. They worked fine in the first place, until they got 30 years old. Now if you are drag racing???That may be were people will disagree with me.

Sorry to muddy the waters but I felt it had to be said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode