CD Receiver mounting options - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 00, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Will a DIN CD Receiver mount where the center a/c outlet is on a 1968 Camaro? I'm trying to find a place to put one without having to cut-up the dash (I don't have a/c, so that location is available). I want the CD (or mini-disc) in the dash (i.e., no changers in the trunk, so that rules out Custom Autosound's offerings).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 00, 03:52 AM

Cool

Measure the opening that you want to install the CD player. If it is at least 7" x 2", the unit will fit. If it is larger, you'll have to make a custom kit to secure the unit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech

You'll probably have to fabricate a "kit" to mount the radio at proper angle and depth if the opening is big enough in the first place. My 67 dash was already cut in the original radio slot to accept the square DIN size radio.

The dash follows an angle which will probably require brackets to correct(I don't remember what the AC opening looked like). The opening must be mesured vertically, not just against the dash. If the opening happened to be 2x7 measured against the edges of the opening, compensating for the angle will reduce the apparent size when looked at 0 degrees horizontal. You will also have to consider that the bracket supplied with the radio probably doesn't provide for the ability to secure itself to an angled dash. It is also unlikely that the bracket included with the radio is a perfect match in width or height of the opening. This will require use of a mounting kit either custom made or aftermarket from a store with some modifications.

Even if the sides of the ac control mount are flat, the opening in the cosmetic dash piece is not so you'll have to consider how to get that semi stock mounted look without seeing 1/2 inch of radio bracket at the bottom just to get the top even with the trim.

Also consider how to secure the back of the radio. The center speaker dash mount from the facoty could provide a good rear anchor.

It could be anywhere from relatively simple to challenging depending on what you find--the key is doing a mental install while looking at the dash and thinking how you address each need as you go. Then go to a GOOD local shop and ask their opinion. Tackle what you're comfortable with.

Of course the radio is a centerpiece of any car dash. cool displays and features will make people look and will also magnify poor install work like the front porch install where the radio sits in a sling and moves back and forth with brakes and acceleration.

Good luck

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

You may want to perform a site search on DIN. There were many postings on this subject 6-8 months ago.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

Mounted my CD player / radio in the glove box, left the original am radio in dash for a clean look,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 00, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech

I bought a dual shaft Kenwood AM/FM cassette receiver to put in the original radio spot. Since the glovebox in these cars are pretty much useless, I put a ten disc changer in the glovebox opening after taking some aluminum sheetmetal and cutting it to size and mounted the cd changer to it in place of the glovebox. It works great, and my dual shaft Kenwood head unit has integral CD changer control built in, so I can control the CD changer directly from the head unit. I get the added benefit of being able to play both tapes and CD's while still being able to change CD's out of the changer while driving. I love it, and I did not have to do anything to modify the dash in any way. Plus, it's pretty trick to open the glovebox and show people the CD changer surrounded by a piece of shiny aluminum!!! The setup has gotten many "Man, that's cool! How'd you do that?" remarks. If you are interested in the specific model numbers or specs, email me at [email protected] and I'll dig up my documentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode