68 RS Z28 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 99, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I read in previous reply that 68 Camaros are the hardest to document. I am pretty sure my 68 is an RS unless somebody went though the trouble to put in the hideaway lights and other RS Trim molding and emblems etc. My question is concerning on how can I prove that it is a true Z car. The car has been restored and the gas tank has been repalced ..so no build sheet. The motor is not the original 302 but I have the dyno sheets(383 hp @5500 RPM) from the source that blueprinted the motor for a previous owner. I have also talked to them and they have indicated that it is a correct 302 motor as all the innards were correct. Unfortunately when the block was decked and repainted it has made it difficult to read all the numbers on the engine identification stamp. I will try to strip the paint in this area in the spring to see if the "MO" is there. The car has an M-22 Rockcrusher and 12 bolt rearend. Is there any other way without the build sheet, protecto-plate, or original motor to tell if this was a Z when it left the factory. It has factory front disk brakes but the rears have been converted disks. Also on my cowl tag it indicates 716 as an interior code but this code was not listed as available in 68 according to information gathered at another area of this website. Year One told me that it is "houndstooth" but the car now has a black interior. I am sure that this car was someones project at some point and may have converted the interior to black to go with the red exterior. None of this bothers me because originality was not my concern when I bought it. I would however like to document its true Z status. Any help?? One caviat to this car is that it has power windows...which seems like an odd option for a Z car

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 02-21-99).]

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 02-21-99).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 99, 05:57 AM

there is a prcess of getting serial numbers off of guns that have been ground off.they use some sort of acid or chemical to accent the metal and the serial number becomes legible.also the casting date and casting number will tell you if it is possibly the correct original block .compare this date to the build date on cowl tag.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 99, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

The leaf springs on the Z28 were 4 leaf, meaning 4 springs in the rear. All non SS and Z28 cars used mono leaf springs and the SS 350 and 396 used 5 leaf springs.

------------------

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 99, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech

The Z28 also had Power front disc brakes as a manditory option. I'm not sure as to whether or not '68's had a single fuel line or double. Should have a single 3/8" line.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 99, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Correction to Joe's post. L30/M20 cars also had multi-leaf springs (and 12 bolts). Also, the manuals show that certain weight combinations could cause some cars to get the 4 leaf setup and Z's to get the five leaf. These are very much the exemption and have only be reputed to have been actually made.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 99, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure where I stand just yet especially after Kurts response. You see my car has the 5 leaf set-up. The car... I am sure was someones project at some point in time because it is totally restored but not totally original.(paint, '69 "cowl" 302 hood, wheels, carburator, radiator etc.) I assume it is possible to put a 5 leaf set-up on the standard Z suspension and might be done if originality is not important to you during the resoration process. Is there an advantage to the 5 leaf set-up that might make some substitute???

I was hoping for something more definitive like markings or stampings on the chasis somewhere but I guess that is just wishful thinking. I just bought the car in October of 1998 on an impulse because it was a car that, when new, I admired as a teenager and I just had to have. When the weather breaks I am sure I will enjoy my "Z" car whether I can ever really document its true status. Again thanks.

One more question. Did the First Gen Z/28 come with the M-22 or the M21? I have read conflicting info on this. I was under the presumption on original info when I bought the car that the M-22 was standard but recently I have read that the M-21 was standard. Ther appears to be a lot of misinformation out there that is confusing to those of us that are less informed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 99, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech

The '69 Z/28 was available with either the M20, M21, or M22. The M21 was the recommended trans. The M20 and M21 both cost the same, but the M22 was alot more (in 60's $$$) so the M22 was really rare in the Z. According to my books, the M22 was only available with either the Z/28, or only the 396/375 SS.
For '67 and 68 availability changes. The M21 was the only trans available with the Z.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 99, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Dave. I guess that is just one more thing that may be incorrect on this car. This 68 car has had the M-22 outfitted with the 302 that was put in the car. The dyno sheets indicate that it is a 302 and my conversations with the B/Ping source indicated it had the 202 heads, 30/30 cam, 283 crank and high compression pistons (all correct for a 302). I know it has the correct casting number...now I will have to see if I can figure out how to get to the casting date on the oppositie side to see which vintage DZ or MO I have. Very difficult to see down there. Again thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 99, 06:32 AM
Cam
Apprentice
Cameron

I'm looking at the specific '68 Z28 brochure and it states that a 4 speed is mandatory: either the M20 or M21 at $184.35 or the M22 at $310.70. For the record, 3.73 open rear end was standard, but you could get 3.07, 3.31, 3.55 and 3.73 with or without Positraction; you could also spec 4.10, 4.56 & 4.88 with posi only. Stripes, called 'Special Rally Striping' were included. Spoilers were there only if you wanted them. Gauges were not standard. Also, fast-ratio manual steering (21.4:1)was included; 17.9:1 extra-fast steering was optional as rpo N44. Power steering was also offered in fast and extra-fast versions. Something else to look for is hangers for dual mufflers ahead of the rear axle. Z28s got them instead of a single transverse muffler just the behind the axle. Dual mufflers were a very common owner-installed upgrade, so the presence of them doesn't mean a Z, but lack of it indicates something fishy. Z28s got a 5-blade thermostatic fan standard and a dual-belt fan drive. Correct valve covers are smooth chrome without lettering or oil filler cap. Power windows, as unlikely as they are, could be ordered on a Z28. Let's hope you got lucky, as a '68 RS Z28 is BOSS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode