Sparkplug wires not up to snuff? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I had purchased a new set of Accel plug wires last year, and finally got around to putting them on the car. When I went to pre-fit one on the distributor cap it wouldn't "snap" on. It wasn't even close to being snug. I took the set back and looked at some of their other brands which also had the same type of open connector with a slide on bootie. None of them even came close to being snug on the sparkplug I brought in with me. I finally had them order me a set of Bosch wires as they were the only brand that fit snug on the plug and they didn't have the slide type booties.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems plug wires used to fit no matter what brand, maybe my setup now is just different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 06:34 AM
David Pozzi

what brand of plugs?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The spark plugs are AC Delco, but the real problem was fitting onto the distributor cap, which has the exact same size conductors as my spark plugs. The Accel plug wires had a boot on one end (fits ok but not great) and a sliding bootie on the other end to cover the connector (which wouldn't have a snowballs chance of staying on)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech

FYI,

after they heat up and cool down they get tight. the boot is not suposed to hold the conector on anyway. the metal snap ring in the conecter dose that job. the boot is there to stop arcing and to keep water and dirt out only.

you are also suposed to use a silicone grease on the boot only to keep it from sticking to the plug and cap and to help seal out water and dirt. it also help's to stop arcing.

if the boot is realy tight at first it could be a real [email protected] to get off and it could cause the conector to come off the wire when you remove it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The metal snap rings were way to big - a gap about the thickness of a penny all the way around the distributor post. I guess I could have crushed them in a bit, but I wanted quality wires, not rigged up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 09:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'm gonna ask some basics that come to mind to fill in a few gaps. (pun intended! )
Are we talking points or HEI cap? Do the plugs have threads on the terminal ends? Were these pre-cut wires with the ends already terminated?

I have Accel wires with 90deg boots and that I had to cut and crimp the dist. end and they fight very snug on both ends...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1)HEI cap
2)plugs do not have threads on terminal ends
3)precut-wires with ends already terminated

Hope this helps
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 10:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ok, I can't answer about the plug end but you described "Little Booties" for covers on the Cap ends of the wires. I believe you have non HEI plug wires and the terminals don't fit your HEI's posts. Did the set come with a 9th wire for the cap to coil?

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 01:47 PM
Tech Team

Get the MSD 8.5mm Silicone wires. Exact fit, quality finish, and will hold up over time. I have used them on several vehicles without ever having a problem.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I think you nailed it DjD, must have got the wrong set. Next time I will count wires before running out of the store to put new toys on my car

Kinda sure I specified HEI wires (can't be too sure it was July of last year) but the shops computer reference system was really basic so it might not distiguish even if I did. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by 68SS350 (edited 03-28-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode