Big block motor mount question. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a stupid question but I am new and still green and somewhat confused. I hear that the big block frame mounts set the engine off to the right a little to clear the steering column. If this is the case then how will the engine line up properly with the transmission? Do I need a new transmission crossmember that will reposition the tranny? I have looked in the NPD catalog but they only have one crossmmber listed for big blocks and small blocks.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 09:34 AM

Hey Dan, It's not a stupid question, this is how we all learn. I just did this to my car.
B/B motor mounts off set the engine 1" to the right, When you hook up your trans(T-400)the T-400 cross member will adjust for it.
The T400 piece is a bit different than the T-350 and power glides due to the length of the trans.
I only know about the automatics.

69 blue 502
Bob

------------------
69 Coupe LeMans-Blue
Frame-Off Resto, ZZ-502/502 Crate, A/C, Griffin Rad., March Serpintine Sys., 2800 Stall with Hughes T-400, Currie 9" with 370 Gears.
http://www.geocities.com/mobiletools1/Mvc-440f.jpg
http://www.mobiletools1.com/

[This message has been edited by mobiletools (edited 01-20-2001).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 01, 04:49 PM

Dan,

I had small block frame mounts in my car with the big block when I got it. I put the BB mounts in when I had the frame out. I had to make a new hole in my crossmember for one hole and used one of the other ones. It makes a big difference in the clearance for the PS with headers. My new headers clear with no problems.

Kent
67 SS 427

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
William

Chevy did use a different manual trans crossmember for big blocks but as Kent noted you can re-drill the sb crossmember.

Another important detail is bb frame brackets are different for 1969. They were re-designed for the interlocking motor mount. Unfortunately 67-68 motor mounts will fit and cause alignment problems. If you have 1969 frame brackets be sure to use 1969-up motor mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode