autometer gauges do work i guess? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 00, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i got an issue of CHP and it had the 10 best camaro tricks in it, and one of them was a 69 Z that had autometer gauges in it. they said the guy used a 5 inch tach and speedo and they fit perfect! i so want to try this, i might just give in and buy a tach and cut the hell out of my gas gauge to see if it fits. its the auguest 2000 issue that says 10 best ideas on the cover. check it out!

justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I saw the same article. How about you give it a try and let me know how the dash cutting part goes?

Seriously, I would really like to do that mod if it isn't too hard.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech

I saw the same thing too and I sure don't see how the 5" gauges will fit. Maybe I'm missing something. I think the 3 3/8" will fit fine with minimal cutting, but they're a little small. Somebody take the plunge, please. I got an old bezel in about 5 pieces that someone can have to try it on (worked on one for hours sanding and fixing cracks and then dropped it and it broke beyond repair - so I stomped the Sh$$## out of it in frustration).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech

I have put the 5 inch speedo and tach in my 69. It was about 7 years ago so I don't remember all the details but I know it was not that hard to do and I did not have to do any serious fabrication work. They do fit. John
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

I am making a gage insert for a 5" tach and speedo with three 2" gages. I did not think the 5" gauges would fit in the stock configuration that is why I cut my gage panel to bits. I did all the measuring trying to make them work (tach and speedo)in the stock locations but did not think it would look good. If I recall the stock gage pannel is only 4.5" to 4.75" wide, how could a 5" gage fit is what I thought. I also wanted my oil pressure, water temp and oil temp where they could be most easily read. I think the cleanest location for them was by the speedo and tack, not down by the shifter or below the dash. It has been work to make the insert but I think it will look great and well worth the hassle. By the way, I choose to work with mild steel as apposed to alunimum only because I only have a MIG welder set up for welding mild steel. If I had a TIG welder aluminum would have been my choice in material.

Joseph
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 00, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

mabey on my next paycheck ill pick up an autolight speedo and try it out... you guys are twisting my arm! hey someone posted somthing about the 5 inch tacj and speedo working in the interior section about a month ago so you guys might want to check that. just think! vintage air and aftermarket gauges.. whats next?

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 00, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

years ago, I did this in a '67. I made a flat plate that would bolt onto the back of the dash the same as the original cluster assy did, and mounted the guages in the plate. Fit fine, looked and worked great. And the adjustable electric speeo was way nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode