TPI 305 or Stroked small block? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

I'm putting a 305 TPI in my 69 Camaro
Started running small problems like , distributer hits firewall, headers hit heater core, throttle linkage, and trying to figure all the park and brake switches with 700r4 automatic on the floor...etc,etc.
Is all this headache worth it or should I have put a carburated 383 in it? Which would produce more power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 00, 05:24 PM
Banned

Wink

ELCoyote,

Scottie, What is it, Captain, you don't want more power already after I put the new dilithium crystals in do ya.
Mr Scott, we need warp drive 8.5 now. The dastardly gassed 347"/5.0's are upon us again. And those Mopar loving Romulands are coming in for the kill, what with their 528 hemi's.

Oh, this is fun!!! Y, yes, a 383 would do just fine if you want one. IMHO. pdq67

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks pdq.....Now is there anyone from this planet that could tell me which would perform better? the tpi 5.0 or the carburated 383?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 04:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Mileage would go to the TPI, power and torque would go to the 383. It would take a lot of money to get the 305 to run with the 383; you'd still be limited by the small heads/bore and the TPI itself doesn't like to run past 4500-5000 rpm.

I'd probably build the 383 and convert to aftermarket EFI later, something like the Accel DFI (about $2200. complete from Summit). Unfortunately it sounds like you already have the 305. What about selling that set-up and picking up a late-model LT1? You'd start with 300 h.p. and have tons of room for improvements in the future. It's also MUCH easier to work on.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode