327 performance mods - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bob

OK here goes. I've got a '68 that I've had for several years and I'm finally ready to upgrade the drive train. It's an original 327/210, powerglide, 2.73 rearend. I'm in the middle of a rearend swap to a 8.5" 10 bolt with a set of 3.73 gears. Next I'll be gathering up the parts to covert to a muncie 4 speed. Question I have is what to do with the 327 ? What would be the best bolt on mods? I was thinking about an edelbrock performer RPM carb, intake, and cam. What knd of horsepower boost would one expect from these changes? Any other recommendations? I'm looking for a good driving street machine that can light them up when the urge hits me. Thanks for any comments.

------------------
Bob H. 68 Camaro, 72 Nova, 82 Vette. Check out my WEB site.
http://www.geocities.com/bh3chevy/Bobs_All_Chevy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

I would pass on the Edelbrock cam, these are one size fits all. If you check out there specs they have tons of duration between gross lift and .050 lift, this means the valve opens very slowly. There are many cam manufacturers out there with more modern cam profiles which open much more quickly. I would stick with a name brand such as Comp, Isky, Crane, Lunati, etc. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 06:21 PM
David Pozzi

I think you have tiny valves in those heads. Get at least 1.94 intake size heads or your other mods will be wasted.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech

Keep in mind that with a radical cam, the torque converter limits your idle speed quite a bit. Street driving can be a real bear without a high stall converter running a large cam.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

bob,
my first 327 engine was the best i've ever had. i have the urge to get another one and build it to the same spec's. it was in my 68 camaro with 12 bolt, 4.10 posi,turbo 400 with 2000 stall. it was bored .030 over(331), trw flat top pistons(10.0:1 comp)64 cc heads, 1.94 intake valves and i believe 1.50 exhaust, holley strip dominator intake, 650 holley double pump, 474" lift,292 dur., erson cam, high volume oil pump. it ran great on the street and it also won a lot of races, of course, not on the street??????? yeah right, those were my dumb years.
and if my kids want to some day go racing, i'd build them that exact engine, but with a little more modifications.
do yourself a favor, and put some money into the cylinder heads. that's where the power is at. and make sure you get parts that are matched for each other. a mis-matched engine will only do one thing and that is bring you headaches. match your power range, of the cam, with the intakes power range, get the right size carb, a good set of heads and a good ignition system and you'll be a happy camper.
good luck,
bruce
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

What bruce said!!!

71 Camairo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I ran some dyno simulations for one of the other guys on the site with a 327. I ran several cams and he ultimately picked a COMP 268H. The COMP 260H also posted good numbers. These cams give very good low end torque (which is what a 327 needs) and run well up to 5,000 RPMs.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode