67 camaro p/g to turbo 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Question

I AM RESTORING A 67 RS CAMARO WITH A RARE FRONT BENCH SEAT FOR MY WIFE AND I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE P/G TRANS WITH A TURBO 350. THE PROBLEM IS I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE SHIFTER ON THE COLUMN AS ORIGINAL. HAS ANY ONE DONE THIS BEFORE OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 04:40 PM
David Pozzi

Hit the search button on the upper right of this page and search the engine and drivetrain section in addition to this one.
I did this swap on a 68 with console, had to replace the flex plate with one that had two bolt patterns, large and small (three holes for each), bend the cooler lines to fit, and set the shifter up so when in second gear in the trans, the shifter said LO.
I would think your column shifter would work the same way. Just put it in park, with the trans in park, like you would for a PG. You won't be able to select first gear manually, but most people don't anyway.

You can use your PG trans yoke, I don't know if the later TH350 would have a larger output shaft? The spedo cable should work, the trans mount is the same, the trans length is the same.

It was like a new car with the new transmission, you really need a passing gear, and the old PG was allways at the bottom of high gear when passing.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I did this swap and kept the column shifter. Don't bother searching archives - there's lots of stuff on consoles but nothing I found useful on column shifters. This is what I did.

The original shift rod that goes from the steering column to the pivot bracket (the bracket that bolts to the frame with 3 bolts) is fine, only a little adjustment was required.

But the rod that goes from the pivot bracket back to the trans did not come close. Instead of the powerglide piece, I found a longer rod from a th350 equipped full size car. I bent it to clear my header and put the adjustment collar on the end closest to the trans. (Just a straight rod with the collar on it).

Then I made a new shift lever for the trans to replace the "U" shaped one that comes on the TH350. I used 1/8" by 3/4" flat bar stock (thanks Home Depot). I cut a square hole in one end to fit on the trans (using the TH350 bracket as a pattern) and put two 90 degree bends (opposite directions) in the bar stock so the end is about an inch away from side of the trans and points down when the trans is in low 1 (doesn't look like a "U" but more like a "Z"). Then I drilled a round hole in the other end of the new bracket and connected the rod to it.

Now where you drill the round hole in the end of your trans bracket will determine how far apart the actual gears are compared to the Park-R-N-D-L marks on your shifter. In other words, if the hole is off a bunch, when you shift into Park you may be in park, but the shifter may read "N" or "D" before you actually get the trans into reverse. Mine is set up so that Park-R-N-D-L all line up - 1st is actually to the right of the L mark on the shifter and L2 lines up with the "L" mark.

If you need a pic let me know, I could probably send one via email. This is hard to describe in writing. It's not that hard once you understand what to do. Just takes some patience . . .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure the PG is the correct one for the 67......my PG was an old shortie style and the yoke was different and the driveshaft was longer.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,Autometer guage pod
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

try checking out www.shiftworks.com
They might be able to help you.

[This message has been edited by 130fe (edited 04-01-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode