69 firebird to 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
tim

i,looking at a 69 firebird body that is sorta rough.does anyone know of any reason i can,t convert the body to a 69 camaro.i know front sheet metal and rear tail panel must be changed and that kinda of stuff any suprises i don,t know about.i,ve done major body modictatons b- fore,just don,t want any thing i,am not aware of to creep up on me.reply asap ready to get started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech

It might be cheaper and easier in the long run to just get a Camaro. If the basic shell of the Firebird is not cherry, meaning no rust or major body damage it might be worth it. Otherwise take a pass, you would still need to convert the engine, trans, dash assembly, plus purchase all of the necessary Camaro parts such as front clip and taillight panel. What you propose is possible but will be very expensive, unless you already have the parts for the conversion.

Steve R.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
tim

thanks steve that,s what i,am getting at every camaro body i,ve looked at people are ssking 3 to 4000 dollars for them and they need floor pans and quarters and everything else so i decided why not just get this bird body. i can get it for 300 dollars i mean i gotta buy everything new anyhow.just want to make sure roof lines and everything is the same.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 03:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
When you are all done converting the Firebird you will still have a car that has a Firebird Vin # and Title. How much less is it going to be worth ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

tim,
why don't you just restore the firebird and drop in a chevy drivetrain. i'm a camaro fan, but the firebirds are still a very nice car.
like clill said, you might give it a body lift, but it will always be a firebird and like steve said, it may be cheaper just to go buy a camaro. body panels aren't cheap, and if i'm thinking correctly, you would need almost every panel except for the body shell and maybe the doors. and then to have a body shop do the work, big bucks.
buy the firebird, restore it with a chevy drivetrain and you'll be just as happy.
later,
bruce
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

The 'bird body may have some value (assuming it's just a body and it's rough and therefore not a good candidate for a restoration itself) for the floors and trunk as patch panels for one of those Camaros you've been looking at. There could be other parts of value as well that will swap over (subframe, rear frame rails, etc.) The price is right!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

Why not buthe firebird and part it out. Many of the parts will work on 67-69 Camaro's. Keep looking, you never know when you will find the right car. Ask friends, people at the parts store, go to the local race track, car shows, check the local newspaper, computer want ads, follow up every lead. Don't be impatient, buy a car that is a solid foundation, maybe even travel to a warmer climate. Good luck.

Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode