Torque converters - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Will the torque converter from a TH400 fit and work in a TH350? I have a flex plate that will accept the 400's bolt pattern but am concerned about the front pump drive. Thanks in advance.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 07:51 PM
Tech Team

Yes. I don't think you should have any problem with that. Now, having said that, let me mention some things you should watch out for. You mentioned that you had a flexplate. There are two different diameter flexplates, and they require different starter noses, and dust shields. Some flexplates have single converter bolt patterns, some have dual. Also, some flexplates have an extra "weight" welded to them for externally balanced engines like the 400 s.b., and 454 b.b. I'm not absolutely sure about the year model differences, but i will assume you are talking about the older stuff, and not the newer "lockup" converters. My advice would be to double check all your parts, and trial fit them to make sure you have the correct setup. Also, you did not mention if these were "stock" converters or aftermarket "high-stall" converters. Most stock TH 400 converters are 13" dia., and stall less than a stock 12" TH 350 converter. Hope this all helps.
Peace69Z/28

[This message has been edited by Peace69Z/28 (edited 03-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Peace69Z/28 (edited 03-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Peace69Z/28 (edited 03-15-2000).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 12:58 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

Good Points!!!

The Turbo 350 convertor when used in a turbo 400 tranny will increase the stall speed approx. 400-600 RPM due to it's aforementioned 1 inch smaller diameter. I have long suspected that SOME torque convertor manufacturers have done nothing more than refurbish stock TURBO 350 convertors for their low-end Turbo 400 products!!!

Conversely,
The turbo 400 convertor when used with a turbo 350 will DECREASE the stall speed approximately 400 RPM. Some people will do this for towing applications or for economy considerations.

By the way, HUGHES Performance makes an EXCELLENT line of torque convertors. They are a lesser known company than others such as TCI but their quality is outstanding hughesperformance.com .

Good Point Peace!!

I "BALLOONED" my stock turbo 400 convertor up when I was using nitrous and that is why I replaced it with the HUGHES (2500 stall). I can't imagine you would want to run a much higher stall speed than that on a Daily Driver though.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 03-15-2000).]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 00, 09:08 AM
Tech Team

Well said sr!

Back in the 70's, when I had no $, I could get a cheap stall buy putting the th 350 torque converter in the th 400. I have even used a Vega torque converter in the past, and got about a 2500 stall. However, I wouldn't advise doing this, because they are not very efficient, and had a lot of slippage. Also, you could "balloon" the little thing pretty easy with some high HP, and Torque, since they were pretty weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode