New to GM's(Ford guy) have ? on 68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a 68 camaro(not rs or ss) w/rebuilt 350 and TH350 tranny. Car is in great shape, almost cherry. Anyway, dont know much about chevys or carbs, I was mainly into 87-95 5.0L mustangs. Questions:
1. who makes best front disk brake conversion? car has drums all the way around.
2. Are rochester carbs any good? This has an edelbrock performer intake w/4barrel rochester.
3. Are the 10bolt rears any good? This has 3.73's in it.
4. Do i really need an HEI conversion or is pertronix anygood(just to get rid of points)
This should do for now, thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

well you have finaly got tired of the "F" car's hu? good man! you are more inteligent then most!LOL
seriously welcome! we are a nice bunch of guy's and gal's here! here is my input:

ok the HEI will need you too ding the fire wall to clear, i would go with conversion of the point's dist.

the 10 bolt is on the week side for a 350, this was prabably a 327 V-8 or a 250 I-6 car from the factory, but it might have had the 10 bolt from day one too GM did some wird stuff in the late 60's early 70's, and some one put a 350 in it. it will work for you as a daily driver. but if you want to race it or drop the hammer alot i would put a 12 bolt in it with a posi unit too.

the Q jet is the best carb for overall performance, when set up right. they can be a pain to get right but after you get it dialied in you forget about it! no need to tweek it, a holley you have to tweek all the time.

i just got a road demon for my 350 and i love it, still geting it happy, it is alot better then a holley. it is smoother then a Q-jet and has better responce, but a q-jet is the OEM carb.

i have a 67 with drum's on all 4 coners. go with a conversion that uses GM part's and it is alot simpler to get part's for in the long run.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 02-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 02-11-2001).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

Well this is the second typing so I'm gonna mae it quick. An HEI will fit without modifications. I have one in my '67 350/350TH. But if you just swith from points it would be cheaper and you could probly upgrade the coil at the same time. Check out jegs or summit.

I wouldn't worry about the 10bolt just yet. Personally I'd upgrade the suspension first and run the 10 bolt til it dies then replace it if you want. Here's some suspension links
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...suspension.htm
http://www.globalwest.net/Camaro%20a...on%20parts.htm

Globalwest looks like they got some of the better bushings out there along with the rear springs that don't need traction bars. I'm gonna buy some. Their shocks and front springs are a little overpriced.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/

Check out this camaro! I'm gonna get these tie rod adjusters here soon too. There's just a few of the goodies enjoy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for the replies. The car was a 327(still has 327 badges) w/powerglide on the column. It now has a B&M shifter on the floor. Sounds like i will go with the points conversion on my distributor instead of whacking at the firewall. A couple more questions:
1. Are 12 bolt rears easy to find used?
2. This car has air shocks in the rear, should i keep them or toss them. What psi is normal for these?
3. Will any of the popular nitrous kits work on my rochester carb?
4. Whos got good deals on oem looking electronic stereos?
Thanks again for all the help. Its like a whole new world for me going from fuel injected ford to carb'd GM. But im loving it!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Mike H

Eric1:
Two of the best things i did to my '69 were the Petronix unit and a new, bigger sway bar up front. The stock leave a lot to be desired. Also, i installed some Koni shocks and upgraded my steering box to close ratio.
New radial tires will make a big differnce, i assume yours are probably arleady.
I'm not sure about the disc brakes, but in my last '69 i found a donor set.
Good luck and welcome aboard!

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up

Welcome eric. I can answer a couple of the questions.
1: Custom auto sounds offer OEM stereos made by kenwood. I have one in my 67. It has RCA jacks for CD exchanger and is digital. Looks stock in the dash.
2: 12 bolts are hard to find. No, I take that back, they're easy to get if you have a small fortune to spend. How much money you want to spend? They are NOT cheap. Dare I say, I have a 9" with lockers under mine. That's all I got.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode